So we have to get a new car. Prius vs. Outback vs. CX-5

How can you NOT go for the Tesla 3?
imgres-5.jpg

How can you NOT go for the Tesla 3?
View attachment 26544
that would be cool. But . . first, we need a wagon version. Then there are a couple other problems. The X model sport ute looks really cool, having watched Elon's vid, but has a couple problems. First, not in my price range. Second, their proprietary rack system does not seem to accept common racks such as Thule or Yakima, and hangs bikes rather than carries them in trays as modernly is preferred by cyclists. Easily fixed if they make their rack hitch not proprietary and standard 2 inch. Third, no spare, and you are supposed to call roadside assistance, or buy some repair kit. I live in Idaho. There are long distances between civilization. Self reliance needs to come with the car. Last, for all models, Idaho is a backward market that will not have enough filling stations for years to come. In 5-10 years it will be a good option. Maybe by then they can have a wagon with a little clearance and less wide tires (not good in snow), such as the Subaru Outback type of wagon, that is more affordable than the X model, and carries more than the 3. Good launch though, and looking forward to their success, and the entry into the market by others. Reasonable affordability is key. To truly impact emissions, we need the soccer moms and dads driving these things, with room to throw all the kids and crap in the back. It is one reason why I think the eco vehicles need to focus on the minivan/small wagon/cross-over market.

Last edited:
My vote would be for the Outback. I previously owned a 2002, and test drove a new one. The newest ones are supposed to be quite fuel efficient, though probably not as compared to a Prius. The Outback seems like more versatile vehicle all around. While I like Mazda's styling, and was considering a CX-7 for awhile, a friend of mine (a Mazda enthusiast) gave a big thumbs down on the CX-5. I can't remember his reasons.

After looking around and driving, she is right now interested most in the Subaru Crosstek, which is pretty outback like. Followed by the Mazda.

After looking around and driving, she is right now interested most in the Subaru Crosstek, which is pretty outback like. Followed by the Mazda.

I've been curious about those. Does the Crosstek have more cargo area than the Outback or Forester?

I've been curious about those. Does the Crosstek have more cargo area than the Outback or Forester?
No, it is smaller. My wife has done the test driving. Not absolutely sure why she likes that car over another outback. I think price, and a little better fuel economy.

I have to admit, when I first saw the CrossTrek a couple of years ago, I thought it was a great looking car. I haven't driven one, but I've seen several around town, and I still think they are a good looking, practical car.

The Crosstek is basically an Impreza wagon, isn't it? Maybe just a tad bit more SUV-looking, but I think it's based on the Impreza platform.

The Crosstek is basically an Impreza wagon, isn't it? Maybe just a tad bit more SUV-looking, but I think it's based on the Impreza platform.
Having looked a little more, that is my impression. My wife came to that conclusion as well, and now is deciding between another Outback, and the Mazda or similar. She is heading up the shopping as it was her car.

What's the roof height like on the outback at this point for loading racks?
Every time I see one, it looks like the are just getting bigger and bulkier, like it ate the last model. The volvo AWD wagons are starting to look more attractive these days...

What's the roof height like on the outback at this point for loading racks?
Every time I see one, it looks like the are just getting bigger and bulkier, like it ate the last model. The volvo AWD wagons are starting to look more attractive these days...

The specs say 5.5 feet. So yes, getting bigger. For bikes/racks, we are intending to do a Thule tray style hitch rack, as my wife doesn't want to deal with rooftop. We had an older softride hitch rack for the old Outback.

So this thread got me super curious and I started looking at car options; I really think when we replace my Scion I'll need to look at either a Subaru Forrester or Outback.

My only gripe with Suburu is the type of engines they come with...

I know people say you're supposed to "gun" it during everyday driving, but really, I test drove a couple of brand new ones a few years ago. At idle, they sounded like they had marbles in the engine.
I gunned it a couple of times during the test drive, and it revved pretty high, but that's about all that happened. The ones I drove all had terrible pickup and the torque was awful. Gas mileage wasn't anything to write home about, either.

For that reason alone, I'd probably go with the Mazda.

To each their own, though.

My only gripe with Suburu is the type of engines they come with...

I know people say you're supposed to "gun" it during everyday driving, but really, I test drove a couple of brand new ones a few years ago. At idle, they sounded like they had marbles in the engine.
I gunned it a couple of times during the test drive, and it revved pretty high, but that's about all that happened. The ones I drove all had terrible pickup and the torque was awful. Gas mileage wasn't anything to write home about, either.

For that reason alone, I'd probably go with the Mazda.

To each their own, though.

I was looking around for something with a V6 at an reasonable price and it was hard to find. I'm also bummed that I'm giving up a manual, because Ash can't drive one. :mad:

The one thing my little Scion doesn't have is too much get-up-and-go. I'd like a bit more pep in my step.

My sister and brother-in-law live in Idaho and have always had Outbacks. Diehard fans.

My sister and brother-in-law live in Idaho and have always had Outbacks. Diehard fans.

Yeah, everybody and their mother drives them up here in NH. They seem to do very well in a moderate snow. Any more than that, and you probably shouldn't be out there anyway. I see a ton of rusted out ones, still on the road. I think they end up getting junked not that they don't run, but that the fenders and bumpers rust off of them and they won't pass inspection or become unsafe.

I've always liked Mazdas, but I can see the appeal of a Subaru.

Yeah, everybody and their mother drives them up here in NH. They seem to do very well in a moderate snow. Any more than that, and you probably shouldn't be out there anyway. I see a ton of rusted out ones, still on the road. I think they end up getting junked not that they don't run, but that the fenders and bumpers rust off of them and they won't pass inspection or become unsafe.

My mum's new Mazda is freaking GREAT. I just want something a bit bigger.

That sounds like the 1996 Subaru Outback I owned for a few months.

It was a 4 cyl, 5 speed manual. Had plenty of torque, and did great in moderate snow.

Pieces fell off everytime you hit a pot hole, though. It was a huge rust bucket.

Of course, I paid $1800 for it, drove it for 6 months, and got $2200 trade in for it.

I'd get another one in a heartbeat.

Back