So we have to get a new car. Prius vs. Outback vs. CX-5

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.co...?trims=12661-367884_12774-372873_12635-365665

My son rolled our 2005 Subaru Outback XT on the way back from attending the Bernie rally last week. Fell asleep after having been on the road since 5 am, woke, over corrected, and ended up in the farmer's field in the mud. At least it was a nice soft place, the passenger compartment held, and he was ok other than a bump on the head and some soreness. No closed head injury either. For the second time, the Subaru passenger compartment and crumple zones did the job.

So, wifey is shopping. at the link above are her 3 favorites. We are thinking new with the low to no interest financing this time. For our winters, the prius will get around fine for what she needs. the suby is bigger, and feels safe that way, but not nearly the gas mileage, expensive tires for the AWD, etc. Not sure why she likes that mazda. I don't love little SUV/crossovers. I would tend to argue for the standard Prius with getting leather seats installed in the lower option package. We like leather for cleaning out the dog hair. The mileage of the standard is quite a bit better than the V. Crash worthiness is another thought. I am thinking the prius is pretty good.

so thoughts?

IMG_0376.JPG

No, that is not a person laying there in the mud. Just stuff. Lucky rainbow is lucky! so is lucky boy.

Glad your son is okay!

I have owned Subarus (most recently a Forester) and currently drive a Prius. I don't think you can go far wrong with either. I would probably side with the Prius - I love all the technology, and it is a great practical car. And of course the gas mileage is a nice plus.

In snow country - that might sway me more towards the Subaru for AWD. Although plenty of people drive a Prius in snow country.

Glad your son is okay!

I have owned Subarus (most recently a Forester) and currently drive a Prius. I don't think you can go far wrong with either. I would probably side with the Prius - I love all the technology, and it is a great practical car. And of course the gas mileage is a nice plus.

In snow country - that might sway me more towards the Subaru for AWD. Although plenty of people drive a Prius in snow country.
A buddy of mine has an older prius that he says does fine in the snow if he is not being crazy and trying to offroad or anything. the suby was fine in the snow, but really needed studded tires all around to feel the best. She had just put $900 of new tires on that car a month ago. they are trashed now.

It was leaking oil out of the front grill. Not sure why, but guessing because it was rolled over. maybe out of the dip stick.

BTW, wanted to say that my son was returning from attending the Bernie rally in Boise, the night before the Idaho caucus. That is why he was up at 5, and then driving across the state. He had attended, loved it, done some shopping in town, then was heading back across the Camas Prairie toward home, on a long stretch of straight road through farmland. He started to doze, drifted across the centerline, started awake, overcorrected, and ended up out in the soft, muddy field. Could have been a lot worse. The roof held, the side glass all held except some cracking in the windshield, and the rear wagon area where there was more impact. He was very lucky.

He attended the caucus the next night, and cast his vote for Bernie. He was feeling the Bern!

Can't go wrong with Mazda or Subie. I'm not a big Prius fan...don't care for the driving dynamics. It's a nice car though.
Curious what you mean about driving dynamics. When I ride in one, I feel a bit like I am in an electric cart for in town driving, but for just getting around for my wife, I figure it would work ok. The subies are tried and true for us though. My wife is going to drive a friends Crosstrek. One limiting factor is that she would really like leather as she hauls the dog and prefers how that works out with leather over cloth, but that seems to up the price quite a bit. In fact, with the Prius's, two sales guys at different dealerships suggested that we get the basic one as we don't care about their other options, and the prius option packages are kinda dumb in their minds, and then have the seats redone in leather, with heat added.

Curious what you mean about driving dynamics. When I ride in one, I feel a bit like I am in an electric cart for in town driving, but for just getting around for my wife, I figure it would work ok. The subies are tried and true for us though. My wife is going to drive a friends Crosstrek. One limiting factor is that she would really like leather as she hauls the dog and prefers how that works out with leather over cloth, but that seems to up the price quite a bit. In fact, with the Prius's, two sales guys at different dealerships suggested that we get the basic one as we don't care about their other options, and the prius option packages are kinda dumb in their minds, and then have the seats redone in leather, with heat added.

At highway speeds the start/stop of the gas motor just feels odd to me. I'm sure it's something one gets used to. Around town it's probably a non-issue.

Back