So this is cool (my awesome smart wife content)

Chad

Slender Hobbit
My wife has been asked to speak at the Anti-Defamation League on the impact of the current presidential campaign on our nation's schools. They want her to discuss how the tone of the candidates are impacting school kids and their behavior (ie bullying). For as smart as she is, I have no idea why she decided to marry me.

That's awesome. As mayor I've had to talk and read a few books for school kids - It's scary to be in front of that audience. Hats off to the Mrs.!

i would think you would need to be able to show a concrete correlation between the campaign tone and increased bullying in schools. i don't think this campaign has been going on long enough to have generated enough data to make that conclusion.
AND.....how much of increased bullying (if so) is really coming from the parents reaction to the campaigns tone thru/to the kids.

i would think you would need to be able to show a concrete correlation between the campaign tone and increased bullying in schools. i don't think this campaign has been going on long enough to have generated enough data to make that conclusion.
AND.....how much of increased bullying (if so) is really coming from the parents reaction to the campaigns tone thru/to the kids.

Obviously, it isn't me doing the talking, I am no where near smart enough, but I think it is more of a general when people are front and center speaking the way some of the candidates do, it can create a hostile environment. The current campaign is an example of it, not that there is any research specifically on this campaign yet. When you look at some of these rallies where regular people are interviewed, it makes me scared.

When you look at some of these rallies where regular people are interviewed, it makes me scared.

i wouldn't consider many of the people at these rallies to be regular. especially the trump rallies. they are the lunatic fringe and because of the candidates tone, feel it's ok to come out in the open and express their hate and bigotry. imo.

Obviously, it isn't me doing the talking, I am no where near smart enough, but I think it is more of a general when people are front and center speaking the way some of the candidates do, it can create a hostile environment. The current campaign is an example of it, not that there is any research specifically on this campaign yet. When you look at some of these rallies where regular people are interviewed, it makes me scared.

Sadly from some of the folks we live near and with whom we have become somewhat friendly, the primaries has them expressing notions that I don't think they would have so publicly were it not for the current presidential campaign. In turn, these folks are watching the news about this stuff in front of their kids and openly expressing xenophobic rhetoric. A scientific correlation may be hard to establish at this point, but "monkey see, monkey do" is why we still have all forms of prejudice in the world today. To paraphrase the cliche says, we aren't born prejudice.

also.....the way people are acting at these campaign rallies is EXACTLY why we do not have a true democracy. but a representative republic instead. can you IMAGINE the laws that would be in place, if the assclowns at these rallies were making the rules? :zoinks:

i wouldn't consider many of the people at these rallies to be regular. especially the trump rallies. they are the lunatic fringe and because of the candidates tone, feel it's ok to come out in the open and express their hate and bigotry. imo.

That isn't just the lunatic fringe, but the whole lunatic nation. And yes, having a "candidate" publicly make those types of remarks certainly makes like minded goons feel enabled.

I'm not convinced that the campaign season has created the problems, but the problems certainly are given voice as candidates seek to garner the votes. I think the biggest problem that we have is the polarization of society. It seems that we have forgetten how to have an opinion with beliving that it is "truth." Polarization comes when I believe that my opinion is right . . . and from my point of view, yours therefore, must certainly be wrong. Honestly most of us have opinions on things, but few of us have all the facts neccesary to call our opinions truth. Well, except for me. :grin:

I'm not convinced that the campaign season has created the problems, but the problems certainly are given voice as candidates seek to garner the votes. I think the biggest problem that we have is the polarization of society. It seems that we have forgetten how to have an opinion with beliving that it is "truth." Polarization comes when I believe that my opinion is right . . . and from my point of view, yours therefore, must certainly be wrong. Honestly most of us have opinions on things, but few of us have all the facts neccesary to call our opinions truth. Well, except for me. :grin:
and see....that's where you're wrong.
cop0

Umm, remind me again, are we discussing politics or religion here?:wink:

Chad, congrats to the wife, and to you as well.

I see the current political campaign as a sign of the continuing trend to be rude, nasty, and condescending and to claim that as a right to free speech. Yes, a person may have a right to be an asshole, but that doesn't mean that should be an asshole. (Needless to say, a number of my anger management clients take that free speech arguement. :wink:)

Back