So, that Vox AC15c1 I got...

CBHScott

How did I get here?
...well, I've had it home for a week now.

For the last six days, I have spent at least one hour per day playing through it.

The honeymoon period is over, I think, and I still look forward to playing through it :).

I have always thought that the classic "Fender clean" was my favorite clean tone, especially with a Strat or Tele neck pickup through it. Now I know why people love the good Vox tones so much. The classic Vox "chimey clean" as sweet as hell. Considering the lack of your typical 3-band EQ, the range of tones here is impressive, without having to give it much thought. The amp loves the Strat single-coils, but the SG alnico hummers, not so much.

Reverb is OK, but like most on-board tank reverbs is unusable past about 1/5th of the way. While I do like the top-boost channel, the only thing that doesn't grab me as much is the natural overdrive - it's a bit on the thin side, not as well-rounded as a good Marshall, but all-in-all, not bad. I have found that pushing the amp with a little OD fattens up the dirt quite nicely.

What really impresses me the most, though, is the relative punch it gives you at low volumes. I have had various tube amps from 5 to 20 watts, that when bringing the volume down to quieter levels, you just really don't get that tubey sound - you have to get the volume up to really hear the difference - not so with the Vox. I can have this no higher than conversation-level volume, yet still get a wonderfully tubey, round clean tone.

This is a solid amp that really is THE best do-it-all (home, practice, small gig) amp for the money IMO. I am probably going to get rid of my other amps (the ADA and the MIII), because this one gives me so much satisfaction without all of the tweaking. Take the Strat, plug it in, and that's it.

Plus, it looks cool as hell :cool:

Love it. Gonna replace the SG with a Tele of some sort - either a FSR BSB, or a Cabronita :thu:.

Last edited:
Take a look at the local cl, I've got a couple teles for sale/trade. :)

Glad you dig the amp!

So glad to hear that you're diggin' the AC-15 as much as you hoped you would. I have a 3 watt Vox Mini 3 that has amp simulations, and the AC-15 simulation is my favorite. I played through it again the other day, and it really made me want to get an AC-15. The thing is that I played through a Fender Ramparte amp at a local music store, and fell in love with the sound of that amp - the "cool" channel on that amp is amazing clean, and becomes wonderfully crunchy at higher volume. I put it on layaway, and have one month left to go. So much for the AC-15 for now, then we all know that there's aways a tomorrow. :thu:

I've enjoyed the tones of Ashley Kingman and whenever I see him he always has the same beat up no-name amp. The last time he was through town with Big Sandy I finally asked him what the hell kind of amp is in that?

Vox AC50 in a one-off cabinet.

12.jpg

Last edited:
I never liked the distortion from the Crate V16 which is kinda-sorta-AC15-ish. Till I tried it through a stock speaker from the Ampeg. If you want a project, I'd give you one.

So glad to hear that you're diggin' the AC-15 as much as you hoped you would. I have a 3 watt Vox Mini 3 that has amp simulations, and the AC-15 simulation is my favorite. I played through it again the other day, and it really made me want to get an AC-15. The thing is that I played through a Fender Ramparte amp at a local music store, and fell in love with the sound of that amp - the "cool" channel on that amp is amazing clean, and becomes wonderfully crunchy at higher volume. I put it on layaway, and have one month left to go. So much for the AC-15 for now, then we all know that there's aways a tomorrow. :thu:

Me too. I think, and think about that amp. I really like some reverb, usually hate an amp if it doesn't have reverb. Still, I love that Rampart. It doesn't sound like it's missing the reverb, if that makes sense.

I know exactly what you mean Bob. My first reaction was simply "wow!" There is just something special about the sound, and I hope that it wasn't just in the music store. I've read that it takes pedals well, and I'll find out next month.

My Shipwreck Studio just received one from a local store as part of a payment they made to me. I don't think I would of ever bought one but they offered a new amp from their store. Anyway I was really surprised at how much ground that amp would cover. Great clean, great gain etc... I think they go for around $650 or so.... It is a limited edition TV front. I really don't think you could find better amp with a greenback at that price point.

It would cost us about 800 to build that amp, of course it would be a hand wired version....

I always liked the Vox clean over the Fender clean. My favorite Fender tone is Tweed, followed by my own brown series or blonde. But I love that Vox sparkle.

Edit, oh, and holy thread revivial!

This is a solid amp that really is THE best do-it-all (home, practice, small gig) amp for the money IMO. I am probably going to get rid of my other amps (the ADA and the MIII), because this one gives me so much satisfaction without all of the tweaking. Take the Strat, plug it in, and that's it.

Love it. Gonna replace the SG with a Tele of some sort - either a FSR BSB, or a Cabronita :thu:.

Do you still have the AC15?

Do you still have the AC15?

I was chuckling over notifications that I was getting yesterday for this thread seeing how old it was :grin: , plus, with my reputation for gear keepage rolleyes1 .

To answer your question: no :( - of course, in a fit of GAS, I sold it to go with something else at the time. Shouldn't have done it, being a fairly rare BRG version, and I would easily get another one (as it stands, an AC-10 may be on the radar...).

I was chuckling over notifications that I was getting yesterday for this thread seeing how old it was :grin: , plus, with my reputation for gear keepage rolleyes1 .

To answer your question: no :( - of course, in a fit of GAS, I sold it to go with something else at the time. Shouldn't have done it, being a fairly rare BRG version, and I would easily get another one (as it stands, an AC-10 may be on the radar...).

I'll not ask about the guitars in that case :wink:

The AC15C1 is a killer amp for the price of admission. I have no intention of unloading mine.

I always liked the Vox clean over the Fender clean. My favorite Fender tone is Tweed, followed by my own brown series or blonde. But I love that Vox sparkle.

Edit, oh, and holy thread revivial!

Yeah, see, there are days when that Vox sparkle gives me the tinglies, and then I'll have that affair, then when I hear that Fender clean again after awhile...well, the grass is always greener...:facepalm:

I have an AC15 Custom as my main amp. I've had it over a year now and I love it. I got the version with the upgraded speaker (Alnico blue). The EL84 chime is definitely what my ideal tone centers around. Probably the result of a misspent youth listening to the Beatles a lot.

I have an AC15 Custom as my main amp. I've had it over a year now and I love it. I got the version with the upgraded speaker (Alnico blue). The EL84 chime is definitely what my ideal tone centers around. Probably the result of a misspent youth listening to the Beatles a lot.

That's not misspent. :thu:

Back