So much for me enjoying my youngest niece's wedding...

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
They want me to play 'A Thousand Years' on guitar while my opera-singing niece plays the melody on violin.

Nothing fancy, but I went to youtube and listened to the song. I'm not familiar with it, but it sound like a capo is needed to avoid all the sharps & flats.

Where's a good site to print off simple chord music for stuff like this?

The wedding's only a month away, and with me working 3rd and my opera-singing niece working first and living in different towns, it'll be a pain in the gluteus maximus to get together and run thru it.

I'm thinking of saying no :embarrassed:

Capo on the 3rd fret
Cadd9, G, Em7, D
Keep your ring finger anchored on the E note of the B string (5th fret).
Grab a decent tab from the site Gary posted and you're golden.
Sometimes I'll look up a YouTube tutorial as well.

Capo on the 3rd fret
Cadd9, G, Em7, D
Keep your ring finger anchored on the E note of the B string (5th fret).
Grab a decent tab from the site Gary posted and you're golden.
Sometimes I'll look up a YouTube tutorial as well.

Beat me to it. If I want to learn a song fast, I hit YouTube and search the song name guitar lesson. If nothing comes back, song name acoustic cover. Usually acoustic covers are just a person and their acoustic so it's easier to figure out.

They want me to play 'A Thousand Years' on guitar while my opera-singing niece plays the melody on violin.

Nothing fancy, but I went to youtube and listened to the song. I'm not familiar with it, but it sound like a capo is needed to avoid all the sharps & flats.

Where's a good site to print off simple chord music for stuff like this?

The wedding's only a month away, and with me working 3rd and my opera-singing niece working first and living in different towns, it'll be a pain in the gluteus maximus to get together and run thru it.

I'm thinking of saying no :embarrassed:

My ten your old picked that up at piano lessons. You got this.

Yeah, your part will be fairly strummy, so should be pretty easy to pick up.

Ahh.... here you go
@Jbird . :baimun:

That works.

I played along to the original video a couple of times last night with capo 3, bingo :)

I would still like some kind of print-out of at least the chords over the lyrics -kinda thing, as the wedding is in a month and this is the first time I've heard this song. I'd just be more comfortable with a music stand and sheet music than trying to remember it :embarrassed: My opera-singing niece said she had the sheet music for it so I'll get ahold of her and find out what she has.

That works.

I played along to the original video a couple of times last night with capo 3, bingo :)

I would still like some kind of print-out of at least the chords over the lyrics -kinda thing, as the wedding is in a month and this is the first time I've heard this song. I'd just be more comfortable with a music stand and sheet music than trying to remember it :embarrassed: My opera-singing niece said she had the sheet music for it so I'll get ahold of her and find out what she has.
See my link above. :embarrassed:

For an event like this, that makes perfect sense and is totally acceptable.

I have to play this one all the time at weddings. It's the "Twilight" movie wedding song. Here's a chart I made for it a while back. This could be useful for your violinist.

If you capo the 3rd fret, it puts you comfortably in G major instead of Bb major.

Attachments

• Christina Perri - A Thousand Years.pdf
    75.9 KB · Views: 108
I have to play this one all the time at weddings. It's the "Twilight" movie wedding song. Here's a chart I made for it a while back. This could be useful for your violinist.

If you capo the 3rd fret, it puts you comfortably in G major instead of Bb major.
A few years ago when my wife and I were Djing, we noticed that every couple that is getting married "thinks" they their wedding plans are so original.
But the reality is that every, and I mean every wedding is exactly the same.

A few years ago when my wife and I were Djing, we noticed that every couple that is getting married "thinks" they their wedding plans are so original.
As HC forumite Strings74 once said, as he was getting married and paying for the wedding..."If you want to make money, just put 'wedding' in front of everything you sell, and charge twice as much". :lol: But it's true. Wedding Cake, Wedding photographer, wedding rice, wedding dj, wedding catering, wedding limo, etc.

As HC forumite Strings74 once said, as he was getting married and paying for the wedding..."If you want to make money, just put 'wedding' in front of everything you sell, and charge twice as much". :lol: But it's true. Wedding Cake, Wedding photographer, wedding rice, wedding dj, wedding catering, wedding limo, etc.

Ahem £ per hour worked weddings are my least lucrative type of gig. :cry:

I can make £90+ quid an hour for a kids party, a wedding its probably around £20-30 depending on travel and prep times.

Fuckin' eh, man!

The only original wedding I've ever done the groom came down the aisle wearing a purple cape while Strauss's "Also Sprach Zarathustra" (aka 2001 Space Oddysey) played. That was pretty epic.

Fuckin' eh, man!

The only original wedding I've ever done the groom came down the aisle wearing a purple cape while Strauss's "Also Sprach Zarathustra" (aka 2001 Space Oddysey) played. That was pretty epic.

When my brother got married, he and all the groomsmen walked down the isle to Social Distortion's cover of "Ring of Fire." That was a first for me :grin:

Back