So lets talk about razors

Mach 3. I hate the feel of disposables, the handles are too light.
This, formerly from costco, but since they moved on to the next Schick model, I just order replacement blades from Amazon. It was about as cheap as Costco anyway. I just foam up some soap with my hands and put it on. I like to shave after the morning shower as showering and washing my face also seems to soften things up.

THis is my favorite for the last 5 years. I may use 5 blades a year. Super smooth, no burn. Great on the face and dome.
81pR9kzLt8L._SY679_.jpg

I keep some throw away razors of the fusion type at my son's house for when I visit and they're very good.

Electric for me. I've been using one for at least 20 years. I'd slice myself to ribbons if I tried to shave with a blade now.

electric for years now, but I stopped shaving at some point this summer during our intense bout of home renovation stuff and have decided to keep the beard at least through the winter. still have to shave a bit to avoid the dreaded neck beard though.

We use Fusion razors. But Target is now selling a knockoff brand called Harry’s that is significantly less expensive, so I’ll probably switch to those.

I try to avoid disposables, because they're terrible at doing their job and they add plastic to the landfill. I looked at Dollar Shave Club (which some others have had luck with), but it's just as affordable to get cartridges at Sam's or Costco. I've tried the electric route too, but wasn't impressed by them and by mid afternoon my shadow was just too much.

If you really want to be green, there's only one way to go. I haven't had the guts to try it yet though.

New-Men-s-font-b-Straight-b-font-Edge-Spine-Round-Point-Wet-Shaving-Stainless-Steel.jpg

I've been doing the ol' double edge safety razor since last Christmas. Don't think I'll ever go back to those disposables.

If you really want to be green, there's only one way to go. I haven't had the guts to try it yet though.

New-Men-s-font-b-Straight-b-font-Edge-Spine-Round-Point-Wet-Shaving-Stainless-Steel.jpg

Something over 35 years ago, when I first took up with Mrs. bsman, I got one of those at a garage sale, and used it for a year or so. It sure did the trick, but you'd better be wide awake while shaving! If I could find another vintage one for a good price, I'll buy it!

Something over 35 years ago, when I first took up with Mrs. bsman, I got one of those at a garage sale, and used it for a year or so. It sure did the trick, but you'd better be wide awake while shaving! If I could find another vintage one for a good price, I'll buy it!

How vintage? I might have a box of REALLY old ones around.

I have sensitive skin, so I have to be careful between bang-for-buck razors vs. certain brands and models. Any cheapo store brand I have bought has either been very inconsistent, or has torn my face up. The most recent fairly cheap ones that work and don't leave me with a skin rash are the Bic Hybrid Comfort 3 disposable. I alternate between these, a Norelco electric, and not shaving at all.

I have one of these:

31DnQN6c%2BML.jpg

There's no plastic involved, and only a thin metal blade to dispose of. I can get a hundred blades for under ten bucks. It also makes you slow down a bit and think about what you're doing.

Plus 1 Get a DE razor and some blades and you will get a more comfortavble . cheaper shave. Do away with the foam can crap as well...get a badger/boar or even horsehair or sythetic brush and a good soap. Turn a chore into a joy.

The whole triple /quadruple deluxe supersonic bullshit the razor companies sell you is all gimmicky marketing. A tradtional "saftey blade" will be miles better, cleaner, closer more comfortable.

If youy want the most comfy ever get an Old Gillette fatboy http://www.ebay.com/bhp/gillette-fatboy and you'll wonder how you ever did without one..a true masterpiece which will bnever be topped.

The Edwinn Jagger DE 89 is a great first buy as well http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Edwin-Jagger-DE89-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Chrome_p_725.html

Westcoast shaving and maggard razors are great places to buy

Add my vote to the Double Edge Safety razor crowd. I have a vintage Gillette, and a newer Van Der Hagen DE - can be had fro Walmart, $17.50 and comes with 5 blades. I like the Van Der Hagen blades, and also have found decent blades at Kroger. Blades are cheap and the shave is great. A tweezerman badger hair brush from Amazon along with some decent shaving soap, and you've got a great, affordable shave.

Safety razor for me with a mug, Williams mug soap and one of the brush applicators.

I also use a Braun electric. It depends on the day. For others who use electric...a can of Shaver Saver will help your blades stay sharp longer.

I use a Gillette Fusion. If I use anything by the equally expensive Wilkinson Sword I get cut to ribbons.

Bizarre

Back