So...just saw "History Of The Eagles, Pts 1 & 2".

MojoFilter

Unlimited Power
...the documentary of the band, The Eagles.

It's been playing on Showtime for a while, but I just managed to catch it. It's surprisingly long for a band documentary; well over 3 hours.

Anyone else see it? What was your take on it?

I enjoyed it too.
Some dickishness, but that's to be expected.

I have heard it was pretty good, but not having cable it's not an option for us. Plus I'm not the biggest fan of The Eagles either.

I'm going to start out on a positive note: I will say that I like Joe Walsh even more than I did before I saw the documentary, and I liked him quite a bit. I didn't know that he was really considered a "permanent" member of the band...I always thought that he was like Neil Young in CSN.

It was great to see him finally get sober, although you could tell he was wracked by depression on the reunion tour. His singing of "Pretty Maids All In A Row" was actually almost poignant as a result; at times, he sounds very much like Donald Fagen in his delivery.

As an aside, and I didn't see it covered in the movie: he and Stevie Nicks had a long-term relationship, and she apparently called Joe Walsh "the great love of my life". I Did Not Know That.

He also sold Jimmy Page a Les Paul. I like Joe Walsh.

I watched it over the past two nights with the vast majority of it last night/this morning (part of my sluggishness today). Anyway, I thought it was quite good. I never really thought much about Frye before and from he public persona had a relatively negative opinion of Mr. Henley. Henley came off as far better in this doc. Frye seems like a raging douche. The way he told stories, with that tough guy "act" and fuck you to anyone other than Henley attitude (at it's core) was really repugnant. The dismissal of Felder and his contributions to the band by Frye was really lame. Songs are music and lyrics, so taking more credit because you helped develop a melody and then wrote words (and some of those lyrics are far from masterful) is lame. Comparing the success of his solo output to Henley's was a joke. Dismissing some of the great stuff Walsh released following the initial disbanding is downright insulting. Joe released some really great stuff, even if it wasn't as popular. And what was that crap about getting Walsh and thinking their vocals took a hit, but it was okay because he brought the rock edge they wanted. Joe's a great singer, he's just got a very unique voice...one that is as expressive as Henley's and much more so than Frye's ever was. Yeah, Frye rubbed me the wrong way. Geffen is the only guy that's even more repulsive.

That said, I grew up listening to them band and like a select few other artists they are ingrained in my musical DNA. I've only ever learned a handful of their tunes and barely remember how to play those anymore, but everything from The Eagles to The Long Run albums is etched in my mind. The Beatles from HELP on and the Police are among the SUPER small group of other artists that I say that about. So, I love their music. It was shocking to her that Desperado was a flop, because barring the title track that album kicks all sorts of ass. I had no idea about the crap with Geffen and Johns. Azoff is like the dream manager...with someone like that fighting for them they'd probably still been quite successful with a 1/3 or maybe even 1/4 of the talent they had.

Timothy has a cartoonish speaking voice, but the emeffer can certainly sing. But more than that, he's a KILLER bass player. It's more subdued in the studio stuff, but in all of those live clips, he's absolutely kicking ass on the bass. I don't think of Henley's voice as being so much better than any of the other guys, regardless of what they think. It's perfect in the context of the songs he sang in the Eagles, but it's no better than Frye's, Randy's, Schmidt's, or Walsh's in that same context. It's crazy the amount of vocal options they had though. So many textures and tonalities.

Bernie and Randy got OLD...Bernie's not even recognizable and Randy looks like his own 75-80 year-old father. Steuart is a lucky man to fall into that position AND get the opportunity to be part of the creative force of the band. Sweet gig. Makes wish I'd seen them during the Hell Freezes Over tour, when their ridiculously overpriced tickets were on some level manageable AND it was mainly the five-piece with someone for the keys and a drummer to free up Henley from time to time. I literally couldn't stop watching it...even though Frye made me want to about a dozen times.

Mojo, I forgot to reflect upon a big point you made and it may be Frey's (yeah, I misspelled the hell out of his name in the previous post) one redeeming quality. He really liked Joe and was part of the unit that basically saved his life.

I'm not really, either. I know the bulk of their music, and they did some great stuff, but I don't have them anywhere near my "Top 20 favorite Rock Bands".

I'm not sure they rank that high for me either. It's just that they were on a lot when I was a kid and are part of the soundtrack to many memories.

I watched it over the past two nights with the vast majority of it last night/this morning (part of my sluggishness today). Anyway, I thought it was quite good. I never really thought much about Frye before and from he public persona had a relatively negative opinion of Mr. Henley. Henley came off as far better in this doc. Frye seems like a raging douche. The way he told stories, with that tough guy "act" and fuck you to anyone other than Henley attitude (at it's core) was really repugnant. The dismissal of Felder and his contributions to the band by Frye was really lame. Songs are music and lyrics, so taking more credit because you helped develop a melody and then wrote words (and some of those lyrics are far from masterful) is lame. Comparing the success of his solo output to Henley's was a joke. Dismissing some of the great stuff Walsh released following the initial disbanding is downright insulting. Joe released some really great stuff, even if it wasn't as popular. And what was that crap about getting Walsh and thinking their vocals took a hit, but it was okay because he brought the rock edge they wanted. Joe's a great singer, he's just got a very unique voice...one that is as expressive as Henley's and much more so than Frye's ever was. Yeah, Frye rubbed me the wrong way. Geffen is the only guy that's even more repulsive.

That said, I grew up listening to them band and like a select few other artists they are ingrained in my musical DNA. I've only ever learned a handful of their tunes and barely remember how to play those anymore, but everything from The Eagles to The Long Run albums is etched in my mind. The Beatles from HELP on and the Police are among the SUPER small group of other artists that I say that about. So, I love their music. It was shocking to her that Desperado was a flop, because barring the title track that album kicks all sorts of ass. I had no idea about the crap with Geffen and Johns. Azoff is like the dream manager...with someone like that fighting for them they'd probably still been quite successful with a 1/3 or maybe even 1/4 of the talent they had.

Timothy has a cartoonish speaking voice, but the emeffer can certainly sing. But more than that, he's a KILLER bass player. It's more subdued in the studio stuff, but in all of those live clips, he's absolutely kicking ass on the bass. I don't think of Henley's voice as being so much better than any of the other guys, regardless of what they think. It's perfect in the context of the songs he sang in the Eagles, but it's no better than Frye's, Randy's, Schmidt's, or Walsh's in that same context. It's crazy the amount of vocal options they had though. So many textures and tonalities.

Bernie and Randy got OLD...Bernie's not even recognizable and Randy looks like his own 75-80 year-old father. Steuart is a lucky man to fall into that position AND get the opportunity to be part of the creative force of the band. Sweet gig. Makes wish I'd seen them during the Hell Freezes Over tour, when their ridiculously overpriced tickets were on some level manageable AND it was mainly the five-piece with someone for the keys and a drummer to free up Henley from time to time. I literally couldn't stop watching it...even though Frye made me want to about a dozen times.

Agreed on just about all points.

I think that Bernie and Randy aren't unique in that regard (the fact they look considerably older than the guys who are in the band, currently); I just think that they're the guys who have had the least amount of hair-plugs and cosmetic surgery.

When you're not onstage in front of huge crowds, there's no pressure to do those things, really.

Agreed on just about all points.

I think that Bernie and Randy aren't unique in that regard (the fact they look considerably older than the guys who are in the band, currently); I just think that they're the guys who have had the least amount of hair-plugs and cosmetic surgery.

When you're not onstage in front of huge crowds, there's no pressure to do those things, really.

I forgot about when I was watching it during my big post, is that what occurred to me as well as that they were not in the spotlight since they left. So it's not just about any notion of surgeries, but we've been able to watch Joe, Glenn, and Don age. Felder looked damned old too in 1994, but part of that was the short hair and lack of 'stache. Timothy has that weird ageless thing going on...or at least aging well. Just looks like a modestly older version of himself.

I keep wanting to see this but part of me says I'm better off not knowing.

I liked Walsh too. And Felder. Those were the interesting parts of the band for me though few could argue that Henley wasn't a hit machine for a while. Frey bugged me even back in the early Eagles days. What was with that guy?

I keep wanting to see this but part of me says I'm better off not knowing.

I liked Walsh too. And Felder. Those were the interesting parts of the band for me though few could argue that Henley wasn't a hit machine for a while. Frey bugged me even back in the early Eagles days. What was with that guy?
Well, he is from Detroit. :shrug:

He might be less likable than Gene Simmons.

I didn't like him going into it, and after watching the documentary, I like him far less.

He's an absolute scumbag. He's almost a caricature of the coked-up, self-absorbed sleazy "Music Biz" guy.

I haven't seen it but would like to. I like The Eagles quite a bit...possibly because of the lack of "classic rock" radio over here, I haven't actually heard "Hotel California" a zillion times.

I haven't seen it but would like to. I like The Eagles quite a bit...possibly because of the lack of "classic rock" radio over here, I haven't actually heard "Hotel California" a zillion times.

Most definitely.

I have a theory that they gave three cassettes, with listening instructions, to those who weren't passionate about music when I went entered High School:

Eagles' Greatest Hits
Billy Joel's Greatest Hits, Vol 1 & 2
Steve Miller Band's Greatest Hits

The instructions simply read "Play these at all times, everywhere you go." When I was in HS during the mid/late 80's, there was about a 70% chance that one of those albums would be playing in someone's car at any given time. There was also about an equal chance that Steve Miller's "Keep On Rockin' Me, Baby" would be on any given classic Rock radio station, at any time.

I had nothing originally against any one of those bands/artists, but I find all of them fairly difficult to listen to voluntarily, these days.

Most definitely.

I have a theory that they gave three cassettes, with listening instructions, to those who weren't passionate about music when I went entered High School:

Eagles' Greatest Hits
Billy Joel's Greatest Hits, Vol 1 & 2
Steve Miller Band's Greatest Hits

The instructions simply read "Play these at all times, everywhere you go." When I was in HS during the mid/late 80's, there was about a 70% chance that one of those albums would be playing in someone's car at any given time. There was also about an equal chance that Steve Miller's "Keep On Rockin' Me, Baby" would be on any given classic Rock radio station, at any time.

I had nothing originally against any one of those bands/artists, but I find all of them fairly difficult to listen to voluntarily, these days.

In contrast, whenever we visit the USA and I put on the radio in the hire car and the first thing I hear is "More Than a Feeling", it's like heaven. :embarrassed:

I really don't get you people. That is people who declare that "X" most popular music is unlistenable. I seek only to understand.

Yeah, when I was younger that stuff played all the time and there were fewer radio stations, so we got inundated. That was a long time ago. A very long time ago. I don't have any animosity or scars from hearing that music way back then. Too much time as passed, and since I don't listen to classic rock radio, I never hear that music in every day life.

When I do happen to hear anything from The Stranger or Glass Houses I immediately go into sentimental mode and time travel back to a wonderful time in my life. I don't get the hate unless you're forcing yourself to listen to classic rock on a daily basis because you're a masochist. Like I said, I seek only to understand. I love hearing "Jet Airliner" once in a blue moon. It's a great song.

Back