So I've had this Yamaha AC1R for a couple of months...

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
This was part of the prize package that I got the the Truefire "Next Top Guitar Instructor" contest. I had figured that the guitar would be a cheapie that I wouldn't find useful but the reality is that it sounds pretty good, plays really well and is just convenient to have around. My Guild DV52 sounds better (more low end, mostly), but I'm enjoying having the onboard tuner and with the brighter tone of this thing I've been using it mostly for fingerstyle guitar with my students. It actually sounds kind of like a Taylor, which contrasts nicely with the more "Martin" type voicing of my Guild.

I'm pretty happy with it. :)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...map=AC1RHC&zmac=7&zmas=1&zmam=89202644&SID=-1

IMG_2102.JPG

I have an old APX that I keep at home, too. It doesn't sounds so nice that I'll gig with it but it is pretty useful for practicing. It was a super cheap one that I traded with a student for.

I helped a friend pick out a starter guitar for her son. I steered her toward a $300-ish Yamaha. I was amazed at how well it played and sounded at that price point.

I've never fallen in love with their steel-strings, but I've always directed my beginning classical guitar students to Yamaha. For $600-$700, you get an instrument that you won't outgrow until you're well into a university music program. For most adult beginners, that means 10-15 years, or never. So...

And yeah, I think that most of their orchestral instruments are incredibly competitive - exceptionally so - at the beginner level, also.

Also, Luther Dickinson, of North Mississippi Allstars fame, has a lot of outstanding guitars, but he favors an old Yamaha acoustic for a lot of his studio stuff. He installed a gold foil pickup. volume knob, and input jack.

Here's a shot I got of him using it while recording some tracks on Seasick Steve's latest album.

LutherDickinson-1.jpg

It's a shame you don't see more pro's using their gear. Most people agree on their fair quality/price factor.

The original line of Pacifica guitars kicked all kinds of ass......
Even back in the mid 90's I helped a friend of mine pick out a beginners electric. We settled for their basic tele clone 102S (I think). I was really impressed with that guitar for the little amount of cash they wanted.

Back