So it's time I think about using the talk box - but I don't know how to set it up

12Pack

Dyslexic b00n
And I have no idea how to use it.

Purchased it a while back but set it aside as I needed to learn a boat load of songs to catch up to the current band music. Now I want to fine tune a few thing and bring the Heil talk box into the picture. I have yet to plug it in and thought it would be as simple as running between my guitar and amp - that isn't the case.

According to the manual it goes Guitar - > Effect - > Amp Head - > Talk Box - > Speaker Cabinet with an 8 ohm load.

1. I'm playing through a combo amp. Is it possible to take the output of the combo amp directly into the talk box without blowing something up? Perhaps the send receive on the amp head back or line out?

2. - If I can't use this through a combo amp set up. My other go-to head would be a Peavy classic 30 that requires a 16 ohm speaker cabinet. I currently have a 16 ohm speaker cabinet and what would happen if I hook this between the head and the 16 ohm cabinet when it's asking for 8? Can I even use the Classic 30 with this if it's asking for 1 6ohms and the talk box wants 8 ohms?

:shrug:

Resistance can go up but not down without rising damage so I wouldn't hook it up if the amp only specifies 16ohm.

The rest I don't know because I've never used an actual Heil, I just made my own that I had to go through a Mic. Though you could disconnect the speaker, hook the lead up to half of a speaker wire, then the other half of the wire out of the basic box back to the speaker in your combo. If I understood that right what you wrote before.

I would try it, but then again I don't have expensive stuff that I really would miss if it broke. Or would be expensive to fix.

I’ve never hooked one up but you definitely can use it with a combo amp. I saw a band this past weekend where the guitar player used one with a bogner combo.

My friend brings a separate head amp and an A/B switch.
It’s simpler for him and he’s worried that if something happened to the Heil or any of the cables used to hook it up, he’d be toast with no signal getting to the speaker.
Whereas with the separate head, if anything goes wrong, he can stay in his normal chain and use the wah pedal for a reasonable facsimile.

He’s got a Fender something or other for that head, but I’d be inclined to try something like a Traynor Quarter Horse or a SANS amp type of thing for better portability.

Problem solved. Just bought the MXR 222 Talk Box. I can run it in line with the combo amp as all the resistance is habdled internally and not by the amp head. It was cheaper and will be less of a hassle carying a separate amp head and speaker cabinet with an A/B switch.

Anyone need Heil Talk Box?

Problem solved. Just bought the MXR 222 Talk Box. I can run it in line with the combo amp as all the resistance is habdled internally and not by the amp head. It was cheaper and will be less of a hassle carying a separate amp head and speaker cabinet with an A/B switch.

Anyone need Heil Talk Box?
Didn't Rocktron make something along those lines too?

Resistance can go up but not down without rising damage so I wouldn't hook it up if the amp only specifies 16ohm.

If talking solid-state amps, yes. Not the same tube amps.

But 12Pack already made the right choice by going with a pedal-form talkbox, the Heil is a dinosaur as far as as setup.

Back