So it's settled: I won't be getting an OCD anytime soon

Went to the music store, tried out a Mooer Hustle Drive through a Fender amp. It sounded intriguing enough, so I said what the hell, and bought it. Got home, plugged in and started playing.

I immediately realized why this pedal wasn't right for me: I don't rock. Never have, never will. I'm gonna assume the Hustle Drive is close enough to the OCD to know that the reason the OCD is so popular is because it's an awesome, transparent overdrive/distortion, made to replicate a cranked amp. For gigging guitarists, playing badass rock and/or roll with big, meaty riffs, this one's gotta be perfect.

For a livingroom noodler who just wants that sweet, singing drive at pleasant levels, it won't do. It doesn't do the Richie Kotzen rhythm sound I dig, which I got from my trusty AC Booster. Now that the aforementioned Xotic pedal has the gain turned off (I realized it was the perfect pairing with my Mooer Black Secret, finally delivering the lead tone of my dreams), I'm gonna need something else to give that low gain overdrive.

Mooer Blues Mood, perhaps? Apparently based on the Keeley-modded BD-2.

I've been using the Sparkledrive Mod for that sound in my rig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For low gain drive, my favorite is the Mojo Hand FX Bluebonnet. I can't tell you how many dirt pedals I have gone through in the past 2 years looking for the "one." (go ahead and search NPD from me, but you will probably crash the forum) And this is it. I just went through a pedal sell off and this and the Echorec are the only things left.

For low gain drive, my favorite is the Mojo Hand FX Bluebonnet. I can't tell you how many dirt pedals I have gone through in the past 2 years looking for the "one." (go ahead and search NPD from me, but you will probably crash the forum) And this is it. I just went through a pedal sell off and this and the Echorec are the only things left.

:annoyed:

Also gonna put a temporary hold on pedal purchases. I notice it's been taking up far too much time, and money, and my playing is suffering because of this. I've got two pedals I love, the AC Booster and the new Carbon Copy delay, and that is enough for most of the things I wanna play. Also got the new Mooer Black Secret that sounds great with the AC, so I've got higher gain if I need it.

Gonna try and focus on my playing instead. Wish me luck!

Oh, and I called the store today, they say I can come back with the Hustle Drive and switch with that Blues Mood pedal I mentioned.

(No, that's not GAS, I'm just being practical, dammit. :tongue: )

granted its not going to work for your style but I love fulltone, and even I dont think the OCD is a good pedal. tons of better options out there.

Thanks, guys.

Will you be getting a manic-depressive instead?
Manic Depressive Boost, sounds like a good pedal idea.

But I reckon the Blues Mood is gonna work a lot better, because I already have a good experience with the unmodded Blues Driver. Only thing I didn't like about that one was the thin sound as you increased the gain. This is gonna be mostly for low gain, and I'm most likely putting it before the AC Booster, meaning I'll be able to colour its tonal qualities and make it 'warmer'. Gonna go downtown tomorrow and make the switch, and then it's over for now with pedal acquisitions. Gonna sadly turn down a fairly priced '82 Boss CS-2, which is a pedal I've been wanting for years and years. Fuck it, there will be other pedals and other chances, right now I have no use for a compressor.

How many Mooer pedals do you have? Never talked to somebody that has tried them. Other than not what you are looking for, is it good stuff?

How many Mooer pedals do you have? Never talked to somebody that has tried them. Other than not what you are looking for, is it good stuff?
I have 2 of their mini pedals and I've been quite impressed. The Reecho is a really nice delay with modulation, and the tuner works perfectly so far.

I'm not a guy who's tried tons of pedals, so take this with a grain of salt, but my experience is very positive. The aforementioned Hustle Drive, even though it wasn't what I had in mind, sounded GOOD. I mean, even with the gain cranked, the chords I played sounded very defined, none of the mushy qualities you sometimes get from distortion and OD pedals. It also appeared to be, and I'm not crazy about this term, transparent.

If I wanted a pedal for riffs and general chordal work for harder rock, that's the pedal I'd pick, out of the ones I've tried.

Oh, and it's the second Mooer I've owned, although I've tried a few more at the local music shop.

Can't really say, sorry. I rarely get to crank my Marshall, so I lack experience with tube amps with real volume.
Why not pick up an attenuator? You can get the tubes screamin' and play at bedroom levels (a la... Kleinulator or Dumbleator...). That's supposed to unleash the natural tone of the amp.

I've used neither... but thought about building one.

That is tough thing when you can't pump the volume up. In that case I would have no real choice so I would prefer to play my acoustic. Sadly lead tones with the same gear would not sound so great at a lower volume. Sub in a lower powered amp and it is the same thing.

Back