Help! so i'm GASsing hard for a mandolin

Chris Thile did this to me about 12 years ago. I've come to realize that I want his talent and he just happens to wield it through a mandolin. Of course I still want one and to be as good as him someday, but the latter lacks feasibility.

I like Kentuckys in the lower price ranges, or Loars which are higher priced Kentuckys(Saga).
Above that Eastman. Awesome mandos for the price.
Also the old Flatiron or Trinity or Mid Mo flat top army navy styles are great bangs for the buck.

I like Kentuckys in the lower price ranges, or Loars which are higher priced Kentuckys(Saga).
Above that Eastman. Awesome mandos for the price.
Also the old Flatiron or Trinity or Mid Mo flat top army navy styles are great bangs for the buck.

I think I like the MD515 and the 315, but it seems like the 515 may be a better deal, since it's an A-style at the same price point.

Check out Chris playing the instrument that the McArthur Fellowship award allowed him to acquire:

It's being tossed around that it cost him $200K. He's probably good enough to warrant the purchase, but that's four plus years of salary for me (gross that is, so what actually comes home is at least a 1/3 less).

I love the timbre & tone of a mandolin, but I really cant take bluegrass for very long, so I love finding classical clips like that Chris Thile ^^ Here's another one that I have watched over and over. Ths is what makes me want to play mandolin. (1:25-1:45 , 4:20-6:ish)

Last edited:
I love my Loar, though our band took on a great mandolinist a few months after I bought it so I never get it out of the case any more. If you like the look of the F, and are willing to pay nearly double for a decoration, then go for it. Bear in mind, though, that bluegrass legitimacy (if that's what you're after) would be better earned with a name-brand A than a Chinese F.

I love the timbre & tone of a mandolin, but I really cant take bluegrass for very long, so I love finding classical clips like that Chris Thile ^^ Here's another one that I have watched over and over. Ths is what makes me want to play mandolin. (1:25-1:45 , 4:20-6:ish)

I was just talking to wife about this last night as I was listening to Nickel Creek while cooking diner. I'm no big fan of the high and lonesome sound and traditional bluegrass, but I love bluegrass instrumentation. Even with banjo! There's something about the mandolin, like the soprano sax that just hits my ear perfectly when played well (meaning music I like with that intangible phrasing and expression that speaks to me).

I like newgrass. I've been a NewGrass Revival/Grisman/Rice/Hartford, etc. fan for many years.
But I still love the old high lonesome stuff the best. It hits me deep in the guts.
I mean if you can't dig the Stanley Bros. doing Rank Stranger, either it's just not in your genes or you're in denial.

Traditional bluegrass grew on me, but I am a big fan of the Garcia/Grisman compilations. My absolute favorite is the Shady Grove CD.

You guys crack me up. I also have had Mando GAS in the past, but decided that I need so much work on my guitar playing that I should not dilute my efforts. So I am going for a Guitalele from Yamaha instead, for travel, and also just to mess around with. Maybe after the kids are gone from the house I could consider picking up the mandolin.

Bear in mind, though, that bluegrass legitimacy (if that's what you're after) would be better earned with a name-brand A than a Chinese F.

not too concerned about this.

the F-style is more comfortable to play, and the Loar neck was very nice for my hands.

if i get proficient, than maybe i'll shell out 4-5 figues for some bona fides.

I have owned a number of mandolins, but had to sell my last one to pay rent when I got laid off. It is time to consider replacing it.:grin:

t229_6ab55872cc589c2e95d4b29e0459c228.jpg

now we're talking, and the price is right.
Actually, that's a decent little mando, for the price. :cool:

Naturally, some "old school" bluegrassers will snear at it, because it's not a F5 (or exact clone thereof), but this is about as close as you can get, dollar per dollar! :thu:

I got a cheapo Rogue mandolin. Actually sounds pretty good.
Played one for a short while, after my Jaime R Brazos was stolen, until I could afford something nicer. Didn't sound too bad, and once I lowered the nut, found it had a nice neck with really good intonation, so when I got a better acoustic mandolin, I did a little surgery on my Rogue:

images

McLeod P90m

Back