So I went on a tone quest today!!!! (and a question for you)...

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
So recently, I started thinking that I might move on from my EVH 5150 III because I was finding it a bit sterile. I started watching you tube vids of kempers and AxeFX... I figured that I've always been a fan of Line 6 and they would be a natural progression.

then I came across this Kemper vid where the guy did a profile of an EVH 5150 iii... it sounded awesome!!!

Then I thought, what the heck, you have that amp downstairs... make it work!!!

So when my wife went out for a walk with my son, I went downstairs and cranked her up. Holy lord!!! That amp breathes fire!!!

The blue channel is worth the money alone. I have a TC Electronic Spark boost in front of my amp when I use the blue channel. I have pretty much the tone that I've been hearing in my head.... hot rodded Marshall tone with the slightest bit of sag for body. When I play leads, they cut but remain round and articulate... no sharpness at all.

The clean channel is ok... not the best, but then again, I play clean just about 3% of the time!!!!

So I went on a quest... the tone that I was searching for was already in my home!!!

So what about you? Do you have the amp(and pedals) that give you the tone you hear in your head?

Honestly, I'm not even interested in other amps right now. Only the Dr Z Maz Jr sounds as good as my Allen Encore (though it's a different kinda thing). And I tend to play them in rehearsals. The MI Audio Tube Zone takes over where the Double Pickle Drive leaves off. And I've got enough delay and modulation to sink the Titanic. And my bass amp is loud enough to shake the foundation. So I'm good.

I've been on an amp-buying bender lately. I've just never really had many amps, and always too many guitars, so it's been a natural shift... :) I'm not in search of one particular tone. I'd just like to have several options available. Plus, it's probably more feasible to play 5 amps than 20 guitars. At least that's what I'm telling myself. But yeah, I just pulled the trigger on my third in a month. It's getting to be a problem.

I've been on an amp-buying bender lately. I've just never really had many amps, and always too many guitars, so it's been a natural shift... :) I'm not in search of one particular tone. I'd just like to have several options available. Plus, it's probably more feasible to play 5 amps than 20 guitars. At least that's what I'm telling myself. But yeah, I just pulled the trigger on my third in a month. It's getting to be a problem.

I fail to see the problem here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love my Trace Elliot Super Tramp Tube combo so much I bought a second one! My band went in the studio last Thursday to record a demo CD and while I'm still waiting for a chance to pick up my copy of the final mastered CD from the drummer, the guitar tone in the initial mixes was sounding downright awesome. Just hope it sounds as good on the final master!

I have many tones in my head, hence 5 boards and several amps to get the job done as needed for the type of gig I might play.

Me too. Not the buying part but that I can't find one amp do do all that I want. I could be happy with 5 or 6 non-boutique amps.
But I could be extremely happy with a Goodsell, Bad Cat and Divided by 13.

It took me a long time to actually be able to articulate the sound in my head. After listening to a ton of bands who have that tone - or close to it - and having gone through way too much gear I am really close now. Until I can afford a Matchless (which will be never) I am very happy with my current amp.

I have a lot of amp GAS lately, but I play acoustic 90% of the time, with my modelers about 5%. I really want a usable nice tube amp, but it's a lot of cash to drop on something that I don't need. My studio amp needs replaced first and I can't use a nice tube one in there.

for the cleanish blues stuff....yea, i've got what i want, and have had for 20 years.

for the crunchier sound.....no.....the sound in my head is an Overdrive Special, and just don't have $20k to drop on that.

I'm pretty happy with what I get with the gt8 and the c30. Someday, I will own a Suhr Corso just because, but it's not a tone chasing thing.

I'm really happy with my amp and sound in general, especially since I got the proper cab and a new speaker for my head. I'd love a Holland Lil Jimi or to get my Deluxe fixed but I can live without them for the time being.

I'm really happy with my amp and sound in general, especially since I got the proper cab and a new speaker for my head. I'd love a Holland Lil Jimi or to get my Deluxe fixed but I can live without them for the time being.
What's wrong with the Deluxe again? I know you said it somewhere... But my CRS is kicking in strong today.

Back