So...I was putting a new speaker in my SCXD...UPDATED!

jelloman

Couch'd Tater...
...when this happened...

...which kinda sucks...

I've never been unhappy with the sound of my beloved SuperChampXD but I wanted to experiment with a better speaker so I ordered an Eminence Ragin' Cajun 10" from Sweetwater along with the new speaker I'm pairing with my new PRS head...the Ragin' Cajun gets great reviews, and is supposed to add clarity and volume and a generally more balanced sound...looking at the 2 speakers side by side there's no question about the diffrences...the Eminence has a HUGE magnet compared to the Fender and a different cone design...it will add a couple pounds to the amp's weight...

...so I went ahead and threw it in there to see how it sounded, even with the tear...I put it in so the label faced the right way but that puts the connector too close to a transformer...when the replacement gets here I'll have to mount it so the connector faces left like the original Fender speaker...

Even with the tear there is a marked improvement in the overall sound...louder, fuller, more dynamic...more "alive"...too bad about the bit of fuzziness on the clean channel...

Seriously, if you have one of these amps, or a Frontman 25 (I'm talking to you @Gary Blanchard) you really should do this upgrade, especially if you're using it as a performance amp (again, talking to you, Gary)...I'm getting another one in on Wednesday and I'll try not to tear it...I'll have a full report then...

I have two Ragin Cajuns in my Allen Encore. They have less breakup than the stock speaker David Allen puts into the 2x10 combo. They sound great, and I've never even considered changing them.

Not exactly a great start to your year, part 7. (hopefully the final chapter of crap)
:(

I had a student bring in a Frontman 25r with one of those speakers and it sounded great. Sorry about the tear though...

Not exactly a great start to your year, part 7. (hopefully the final chapter of crap)
:(
Well, in all honesty it's what I deserved for being dumb enough to balance it on the corner of the amp while I fiddled with the speaker wire...:embarrassed:

Damn, you need some super mojo.
slogobig.gif

Back