So I want to play some electric guitar

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
and I want to have some effects but am not into dirt and distortion. I like the sound of Buddy Holly and 60's rock. I tried the Vox amp with effects but, in the show yesterday, the thing sounded pretty thin. I think I want to have 2-3 pedals and go direct into the PA. I will probably never do more than a dozen songs on the electric so want to stay cheap. What ideas do you have?

I don't think that anything direct into a PA is going to sound that great but I guess a used Line 6 HD pedal of some sort would be the best choice for the dollar.

A little Vox 4-watt tube combo might do the trick, plus some used pedals... maybe even some 90's BOSS pedals that the tone-snobs hate but are perfectly functional.

Believe it or not, my wife owns a Boss ME-80 effects pedal, but I am looking to get away from the programmed type of thing. I guess, if I ever get a break from work, I could try to figure out how to use the individual effects.

I guess what I want to know are what effects would add some presence and sustain to the guitar?

I'd be inclined to go with a basic Line6 POD, although to be honest I've always been a little dissapointed how it sounds going straight into a PA. I suspect that some of the models on it work better than others on a PA, but I've never had a chance to fiddle with it in that kind of setting.

What kind of Vox amp are you using now?

I'd be inclined to go with a basic Line6 POD, although to be honest I've always been a little dissapointed how it sounds going straight into a PA. I suspect that some of the models on it work better than others on a PA, but I've never had a chance to fiddle with it in that kind of setting.

What kind of Vox amp are you using now?
I have a Valvetronix with built-in effects -I can't seem to turn off the effects. I have a Fender amp as well, but I don't think it has reverb. That sounds like an idea.

and I want to have some effects but am not into dirt and distortion. I like the sound of Buddy Holly and 60's rock. I tried the Vox amp with effects but, in the show yesterday, the thing sounded pretty thin. I think I want to have 2-3 pedals and go direct into the PA. I will probably never do more than a dozen songs on the electric so want to stay cheap. What ideas do you have?

Believe it or not, my wife owns a Boss ME-80 effects pedal, but I am looking to get away from the programmed type of thing. I guess, if I ever get a break from work, I could try to figure out how to use the individual effects.
I guess what I want to know are what effects would add some presence and sustain to the guitar?

That's a good question.

What Fender amp do you have, that doesn't have reverb?

For into the PA, the Joyo American Sound, is pretty good, and the price is right. If the PA doesn't have effects, you would need a reverb pedal. If you want to spend more, Tech21 makes some different pedals.

The "thin" sound is prob due to the small speaker in the Vox. Look for something with reverb and a 10" or 12" speaker.
Just about anything solid state should work fine for clean. Peavey, Roland Cube, Fender Frontman. Should be able to pick something up for $200 or less. Other than reverb, I'd go for a compressor(on a light setting) for some jangly sustain.

My fav rig is my Orange Micro Terror head and a 12" speaker cab. $149 for the head, $100 for the used cab, and a reverb pedal somebody gave me. Even tho Orange is known for distortion, it sounds great clean. I even did an acoustic gig with it. (LR Baggs M1A soundhole pickup). The orange is super simple to grok. Gain, volume, tone.

Another great little amp is my USA Crate Vintage Club. 10" speaker, reverb, all tube. Again, dead simple to operate. I sometimes see these for $150-$200 on craigslist. The Crate Palomino is a later version of the same thing but made in China.

Gary, I also tend to favor a cleaner sound. If I go with distortion it is the warmer overdriven sound, and even then a little goes a long way with me.

I would think a chorus pedal (I like 2: the Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus, which you would have to find used, or the Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble which I find warmer than the Boss CH-1 Super Chorus), a delay pedal, and reverb would suit your playing style well.

The "thin" sound is prob due to the small speaker in the Vox. Look for something with reverb and a 10" or 12" speaker.
Just about anything solid state should work fine for clean. Peavey, Roland Cube, Fender Frontman. Should be able to pick something up for $200 or less. Other than reverb, I'd go for a compressor(on a light setting) for some jangly sustain.

My fav rig is my Orange Micro Terror head and a 12" speaker cab. $149 for the head, $100 for the used cab, and a reverb pedal somebody gave me. Even tho Orange is known for distortion, it sounds great clean. I even did an acoustic gig with it. (LR Baggs M1A soundhole pickup). The orange is super simple to grok. Gain, volume, tone.

Another great little amp is my USA Crate Vintage Club. 10" speaker, reverb, all tube. Again, dead simple to operate. I sometimes see these for $150-$200 on craigslist. The Crate Palomino is a later version of the same thing but made in China.

The ones made in China were the V18, and V33, not the Palaminos.

Palaminos, V16, and V32 were made in USA, then Vietnam.

V16, and V32 were exact same as " V15, and V30 all USA", just differnt tolex, only sold by guitar center, MF, etc..

What amps do you have?
I'll have to check the Fender - it is a small one my step-son gave me. The Vox is the VT20 Plus 20-watt 1x 8.

I don't really know how to explain the sound, except to say it sounded squashed. I should have video from the show soon and will post a clip to let you hear.

I have a VT20+ as my travel amp, and I love it. I think that the AC30 model is really usable, and sounds great with a little reverb and the chorus+delay (but not too much). YMMV.

I may just spend some time with the Vox and figure out how to bypass the presets and use only one effect. It has two effect controls, and I can't seem to be able to use only one of them.

I may just spend some time with the Vox and figure out how to bypass the presets and use only one effect. It has two effect controls, and I can't seem to be able to use only one of them.
It's a pretty complicated little amp. Do you still have the manual? It's large, but helpful.

Gary, it looks like this is the control panel on your amp:

lg_vtplus_top.jpg

It looks like if you turn the value and depth knobs all the way down, that should remove the effects.

Back