So I tried out another 2015 gibson Les Paul

Over the last few years I've helped several students pick out Gibsons in the $500-700 range that were tagged $1300 new, which was highway fucking robbery. Some people just "need" a Gibson and won't consider something else, so I'll find them the best one I can at a fair price. There's nothing in their line-up I'd pay more than a grand for, except for vintage.

They're dumping them, due to nobody wanting them. I almost bought a 2015 Jr. I think the neck is OK, but the more I thought about the hassle of removing the G-Force system (which I do not like - I have yet to play one with the G-Force system, that tuned decently), and the fact that I was reading stories about the brass nut prematurely wearing out, I decided to opt for the 2012 Special that luckily showed up in the shop, on the day that I went to pay off the Jr.

Is the tuning thing really as bad as this video?

Hilarious. I didn't have that kind of issue but honestly it would never tune the guitar close enough that my ear was happy.Great idea, typical Gibson execution when it comes to technology.

I only played one LP with the tuning thing in a really loud guitar center on a Saturday afternoon (you all know what I am talking about...a line6 spider blasting metallica sandman on 10). I didn't even bother turning it on.

I only played one LP with the tuning thing in a really loud guitar center on a Saturday afternoon (you all know what I am talking about...a line6 spider blasting metallica sandman on 10). I didn't even bother turning it on.
I'm still watching. Even the guitar he says it works well on isn't even in tune once its finished.

I'm still watching. Even the guitar he says it works well on isn't even in tune once its finished.

I noticed that. In some cases it gets sort of close, but I expect it to be at least as good as I can do manually.

I noticed that. In some cases it gets sort of close, but I expect it to be at least as good as I can do manually.
The second guitar was more my experience. It got everything in the ballpark but not close enough to matter.

The guy seemed to love some elements of those guitars but they totally lost him on the neck shape and the tuning. And the aesthetics of the "Dr Evil" hologram and signature.

typical Gibson execution when it comes to technology.

Well, they did buy Harmony Central. rotflmao

Looking at that video made me feel sad. Sad for the trees getting cut down; sad for any person who was talked into shelling out for one. I try not to be knee jerk about stuff, but Gibson's approach these days feels like they ought to be selling used cars.

They should have put a good polytune like tuner in the upper side of the body and stuck with regular tuners. It doesn't take any effort at all to turn a tuning machine.

I'm with the guy in the video on the shitty headstock writing. I fricken hate that. I don't care about the hologram, as it is on the back. The neck shape was inferior to my asymmetric LP neck, but it wasn't necessarily bad. The tuners seem to suck.

Is the tuning thing really as bad as this video?

Couple things I thought, he's got the little zip tie things wrapped around the strings. Wouldn't that cause an issue to some extent, muting the stings some. Other thing, isn't he picking the hell out of the strings when he strums it for tuning? I mean if he plays that way it's one thing but damn.

They should have put a good polytune like tuner in the upper side of the body and stuck with regular tuners. It doesn't take any effort at all to turn a tuning machine.

Remember, the system was designed for musicians who need to switch quickly between multiple alternate tunings. It's a brilliant idea that doesn't quite get there in execution, and should never have been rolled out to the luddite guitar masses who can barely tune themselves in standard.

Remember, the system was designed for musicians who need to switch quickly between multiple alternate tunings. It's a brilliant idea that doesn't quite get there in execution, and should never have been rolled out to the luddite guitar masses who can barely tune themselves in standard.

Didn't Gibson buy the rights to the old transperformance system jimmy page was using a decade ago? I thought they did...And that system actually worked.

Didn't Gibson buy the rights to the old transperformance system jimmy page was using a decade ago? I thought they did...And that system actually worked.

Not sure, but it never really ended up on anything. So it's entirely likely Gibson bought it to kill it. This is a much less robust system.

Back