So I tried out another 2015 gibson Les Paul

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
yesterday, I went to guitar center where I saw them blowing out the 2015 Gibson models. I picked up a Les Paul standard. It was gorgeous. Beautiful blue flame. But I immediately noticed how wide the fretboard was. Holy cow. And the neck was so round and thick.

To be honest, I think I could get used to the neck but it would take a good amount of time.

The sales rep that I talk to about the guitar so they were only selling at such a low price because they were getting ready for the 2016 line. I gave him a look that pretty much meant I smell your bullshit. He then added that the 2015 line did not sell at all. I think that's an understatement.

Yeah, full of features you don't want at a price you can't afford.
They'll sit for a long time, I should think.
How'd you like the zero nut/fret?

What were they asking for it?

I played one of the Specials when @smurfco considered one. It wasn't bad, and it was certainly worth the blowout asking price, but I think you could do better at regular price.

Yeah, full of features you don't want at a price you can't afford.
They'll sit for a long time, I should think.
How'd you like the zero nut/fret?

What were they asking for it?

I didn't spend enough time to check out the zero fret. But it was selling for $2000. They had the traditional less plus for $1399

Traditional Less Plus?

What the fuck happened to Studio, Classic, Standard, Custom?

And GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

I wonder how the recently-released limited-edition Studios (SR?) that were made for GCI did? $999 for a 2015 model with the "correct" width neck and regular tuners, plus '57 Classics.

FWIW, the two 2015s I had were both built perfectly, and the neck width was pretty easy to get used to. Still not my ideal Gibbys, though.

I tried one of the P90 double-cutaway versions a few weeks ago. The neck width was different but I liked it.

A 1 3/4" nut width with 1 11/16" spacing is something I think I could get into.

Are they blowing these out in store and not listing the sale prices online? I keep reading about 2015 Gibson blowouts but I’m not seeing it anywhere, so I thought maybe Gibson was trying to save face by not letting retailers advertise the deep discounts.

Are they blowing these out in store and not listing the sale prices online? I keep reading about 2015 Gibson blowouts but I’m not seeing it anywhere, so I thought maybe Gibson was trying to save face by not letting retailers advertise the deep discounts.

I'm thinking that this is what's going on

Last year, about this time, CBHSott posted GC was blowing out the 2014s. Son and, I went to GC, came home with a Traditional.

How bad can you fuck up selling Les Pauls? Apparently bad enough that you have to blow off tons of stock for 1/2 of original street prices. It isn't like making and selling LPs is a big risk or complicated. They charge a ton of money for a product designed and optimized in the 50's. Everyone loves the 1950's version of the product and consider it an icon of music, and they sell a lot of them. Sounds like a great time to change the fuck out of that model and add things no one wants and increase prices! Henry really is an idiot.

How bad can you fuck up selling Les Pauls? Apparently bad enough that you have to blow off tons of stock for 1/2 of original street prices. It isn't like making and selling LPs is a big risk or complicated. They charge a ton of money for a product designed and optimized in the 50's. Everyone loves the 1950's version of the product and consider it an icon of music, and they sell a lot of them. Sounds like a great time to change the fuck out of that model and add things no one wants and increase prices! Henry really is an idiot.
Yeah, that's the trap. Stay with the same design and you're "stagnant," or change it too much and you're fixing something that was never broken to begin with.

Fender has seemingly done a great job straddling that line. Their changes were more gradual, seem to be steeped in genuine customer feedback, and don't completely affect the way the guitar feels and functions. Gibson, not so much.

Yeah, that's the trap. Stay with the same design and you're "stagnant," or change it too much and you're fixing something that was never broken to begin with.

Fender has seemingly done a great job straddling that line. Their changes were more gradual, seem to be steeped in genuine customer feedback, and don't completely affect the way the guitar feels and functions. Gibson, not so much.

Yep, a reasonable point, and the sticking with old stuff nearly killed Gibson back in the 80's metal era. The could keep the locking tune-o-matic, the push pull pot coil splits, and more modern tuners as innovations over the 50's and ditch the other garbage. When you need excitement, you push out a few custom color options.

Yep, a reasonable point, and the sticking with old stuff nearly killed Gibson back in the 80's metal era. The could keep the locking tune-o-matic, the push pull pot coil splits, and more modern tuners as innovations over the 50's and ditch the other garbage. When you need excitement, you push out a few custom color options.
Right, because those are thoughtful changes. Or maybe solderless pickups, so anyone could swap them out easily, etc. There are always ways to improve and/or appeal to a larger audience, but the changes need to make sense.

Right, because those are thoughtful changes. Or maybe solderless pickups, so anyone could swap them out easily, etc. There are always ways to improve and/or appeal to a larger audience, but the changes need to make sense.

Nobody swaps pickups on Gibsons. That only happens to lesser brands like PRS and Ibanez. :embarrassed:

Back