So I got my Tech 21 RK5 pedal...

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
So I got my Tech 21 RK5 pedal...

ok so I've never been a "distortion from pedal" guy. So much so that every time I post how I am getting a new pedal, HelpI'mahowie gives me grief. but he knows me and what I like so it's all good.

That being said, I got my Tech 21 RK5 pedal last night. I got to play it for a bit plugged in direct into my mixer and out of my RK6 powered monitors. So far, I love it!!! No matter what I'm playing through, I have a certain amount of compression and sustain that I need to enjoy my tone. A lot of pedals don't have it, but this does. Wow wow wow.

The sans amp channel sounded nice and articulate, but I really enjoyed the OMG channel... especially with the boost on. Without the boost engaged, the pedal does a fantastic job of cleaning up when the volume is rolled back. I was able to find a singing lead tone in no time. The tone controls were also very responsive in allowing me to dial out a bit of harshness off the high end I was getting.

I am going to a jam session this weekend so I'm excited to hear what it sounds like opened up.

So far so good... you can tell you have made a good decision when the piece of gear you just got has you smiling as you use it.

Here's a vid of the MAN himself demoing it:

Yeah -- I've been contemplating the FR5 and RK5 for many months, and I will likely be getting one in the next bit.

I know I'm asking the wrong person, since you aren't a pedal guy, and this would defeat the whole purpose of the all in one wonderfulness of it but, I'm going to ask my dumb question anyways. Can you put your favorite dirt pedal in front of this?

I know I'm asking the wrong person, since you aren't a pedal guy, and this would defeat the whole purpose of the all in one wonderfulness of it but, I'm going to ask my dumb question anyways. Can you put your favorite dirt pedal in front of this?

It's just a bunch of Tech 21 pedals in one housing. So yes. That said, this thing has so much gain, you don't need other dirt pedals with it.

If I didn't already have two GT-8s, which I adore, I would totally pick one of those up.

I've had an RK5 for a while and its a must have for every gig. Easy to dial in when a house backline, and I've used it direct as a backup rig when someone has sat in with us.

So I got to play the RK5 through a Fender combo yesterday. It sounded pretty good… I used it in a jam situation with another player who was playing with a vox night train combo. Even with the gain dialed down with the RK5, it definitely gave more of a rock vibe. The best part was that I was able to sound like “me” while playing.

I still have some tweaking to go through with it, but for something I can just throw in my gig bag for a show or jam, it’s pretty outstanding.

Back