So here is the deal......

Which companies would you consider buying a new car from.

• Total voters

Denverdave

Resident Ragamuffin
You need to go out and buy a moderately priced new car. Car specifically - not a truck or an off road vehicle.

Which of these varied and sundry auto makers would you consider as candidates to shop for your next car from. I cannot list every maker since the list is not long enough - but which of these ten companies would you consider buying a new car from.

Check all that apply.

I'll admit - some companies I would consider new that I would not consider used.

I wouldn't buy a new car because I keep seeing articles about a used car glut and cratering prices. So I would buy a used car.

That said, #PollSuccess. :thu:

What's moderately priced? What body style/number of doors? Fwd, rwd or awd?

Moderately price for a new sedan is pretty relative - but I would say under $30k. Probably closer to $25K. Scary to say those numbers as moderate but they are. As for the rest - your choice....

At this point you can't go wrong with the Asian rim imports...I would pretty much avoid the domestics, but if you insist on one go Ford...

And VW is horrendously over engineered...

Ford. They're making some good cars these days.

Disclaimer: The giver of this advice owns stock in ford. Because I believe in them.

Ford is the only domestic maker I would consider buying a car from. Trucks or off road are a different matter, but this is about cars. But half the Asian cars are totally built in the US now as well. US makers just do not concentrate on cars much now. They make all their money of trucks and SUVs. When I get a car I want one I can reasonably expect to last 200K miles. Which generally means Honda or Toyota.

I would be extremely unlikely to buy a NEW vehicle. That being said my main two choices would be Honda and Subaru. I've had a long history with Hondas, currently own two Pilots, and would definitely be looking at Honda first for my next vehicle. My last car was Subaru Outback, and I really liked a lot of things about that car. I like the Crosstrek quite a bit, and would definitely consider that. If you don't need AWD though, I would just forget Subaru. I added Ford/Mazda and Hyundai in there too. Ford is building good vehicles these days and I like the styling. They are the only domestic brand I would buy from. My wife had a Hyundai Sonata for a while and it proved to be a great, reliable car. Normally Toyota would be an obvious choice here, but I got burned by Toyota on a computer issue that should have been a recall. I would consider a used Toyota, but would never give a dime to Toyota Corporate again.

Subaru Outback. It's the Colorado car. I've driven them through snow that SUV's couldn't cope with. Don't get a green one, lesbian tag might hit ya.:grin:

There are offerings from almost all of them that I would give serious consideration to.

Ford: Focus, Fiesta, Fusion

GM: Cruze (I currently own a 2014) or Sonic

Toyota: Corolla

Honda: Fit, Civic, CRZ

Hyundai: Accent, Elantra, Elantra GT, heck probably the Veloster too.

Kia: Forte, Rio

Subaru: Impreza

Volkswagen: Golf

Nissan: don't care for most of their lineup, but I would at least consider a Juke

Chrysler is the only new car I wouldn't, not because of any lack of quality or design, but that they only make bigger cars (300/Charger) or the muscle car (Challenger). My 2014 Cruze is a pretty decent car so far (52k on it). Unexciting to be sure, but pretty good build quality, comfy quiet interior, and I get 34-35 mpg highway on the interstate @70-72 MPH. I would buy another one based on my experience, but ask me again in a few years when it creeps up past 100k miles.

I checked all except Chrysler. I had two excellent Plymouths and an OK Dodge. I did not get the service and backing with the Dodge that I got with the Plymouth so I don't think I would buy a Chrysler product.

There are offerings from almost all of them that I would give serious consideration to.

Ford: Focus, Fiesta, Fusion

GM: Cruze (I currently own a 2014) or Sonic

Toyota: Corolla

Honda: Fit, Civic, CRZ

Hyundai: Accent, Elantra, Elantra GT, heck probably the Veloster too.

Kia: Forte, Rio

Subaru: Impreza

Volkswagen: Golf

Nissan: don't care for most of their lineup, but I would at least consider a Juke

Chrysler is the only new car I wouldn't, not because of any lack of quality or design, but that they only make bigger cars (300/Charger) or the muscle car (Challenger). My 2014 Cruze is a pretty decent car so far (52k on it). Unexciting to be sure, but pretty good build quality, comfy quiet interior, and I get 34-35 mpg highway on the interstate @70-72 MPH. I would buy another one based on my experience, but ask me again in a few years when it creeps up past 100k miles.
I like the fusion. Huyndai Genesis looks really nice, but out of the price range.

Unlikely to buy a new car or used car anytime soon. I have an integra so I checked honda but I'm not sure I would get an Acura nowadays because they only make sedans or SUVs and I don't do 4 doors :mad:. I'd probably look used at a variety of Japanese or Korean cars first if I had to buy soon.

Any of the Japanese ones or ford but I wouldn't buy new - the thing loses thousands on value as soon as you take it off the forecourt...

I assume you guys are similar to here where you can buy nearly new or have an ongoing lease? (Not sure the technical name) but my neighbours get a new car every 2 years, servicing and road tax is included, any brewkdown should be covered under warranty, the monthly is pretty reasonable and it means they always have a nice new car - if I didn't wreck my cars hauling DJ gear in and out of it that's what I'd be doing.

Back