So, anyone else listen to the new Mumford and Sons album?

Dogsinplastic

avuncular to no one
I'm a fan of the band and have been since I first heard White Blank Page on FUV soon after its release. I've got no problem with the English neo-folk movement or banjos, but I get that they're not for everyone.

That said, the new album sounds like it could have been written in the 1980s in a good way (for me at least). The first song, Tompkins Square Park, while sounding quite different reminds me of Johnny and Mary from Robert Palmer's Clues album...without the dated keyboard sounds. Marcus also sings with a mellower tone throughout most of the album in a way that might surprise expecting to hear (and maybe get annoyed by) his signature growly loudness.

Anyway, it's just a really good album that doesn't fit their work so far, but that for me is good. I don't need them to rehash what they've already done.

Again, no banjos...or acoustic guitar.

Saw them on Graham Norton a week or two back, and (at least the number they played there) was decent, but I frankly feel like they've abandoned the things that made them unique and now sound rather anodyne...

this is the first album of theirs I like
when I first heard a song I thought , 'wait that was mumford and sons? wow they got better!
new basement tapes are good too...didnt know they were connected

Heard some of it, while not complete pollution to my ears like everything they did before this record, still just wasn't my cup of tea. But my kids like it and its not that god awful hip hop R&B shit they listen to

Heard some of it, while not complete pollution to my ears like everything they did before this record, still just wasn't my cup of tea. But my kids like it and its not that god awful hip hop R&B shit they listen to

I'd 10x rather listen to hiphop than hipster beardfolk/pop/rock

Last edited:
I've heard it described as Coldplay-ish, but I haven't really listened to it. Or, perhaps, because of that description, I haven't listened to it. I enjoyed their earlier stuff.

Anyway, it's just a really good album that doesn't fit their work so far, but that for me is good. I don't need them to rehash what they've already done.

Again, no banjos...or acoustic guitar.

I think it is brave and I respect it. What they were doing, they did to death (even though I enjoyed it).

I haven't heard their latest but I will be on the listen out for it.

Back