So, according to the gang at TGP...

jelloman

Couch'd Tater...
...if I add a second 8 ohm speaker, making my cabinet 4 ohm, there should be an appreciable increase in volume from my 15 watt TubeScreamer amp, negating the need for me to add another amp to the pile...

Possible?

What impedance is the amp SUPPOSED to be seeing?

EDIT: If it supposed to see 8 ohms then running it at 4 will damage the amp.

Yes. Amp has more power at it's lowest ohms that it's supposed to do.

Speakers with a higher SPL will also be louder.

Well, if you're adding a second speaker you're going to move more air.

Sound is (in this case) air moving.

Move more air, make more noise.

I'm not sure about the impedance helping... Need to think about/research it.

If you use an identical SINGLE 8 ohm or SINGLE 4 ohm speaker using the respective tap, the amp will produce the same volume. The impedance difference is due to the number of windings on the speaker side of the output transformer. Perhaps there will be a difference in volume, but I doubt it (could be wrong).

If you add a second 8 ohm speaker (in parallel) to an existing 8 ohm speaker, you will have a resulting 4 ohm load and would use the 4 ohm tap on the amp. You would then be moving more air (twice the amount), and it would follow that would translate to more volume. How much more volume would depend on the efficiency of the other speaker.

What Bob said..

And here's some detail:

"Loudspeakers have impedances of 8 ohms, 6 ohms or 4 ohms (those are "nominal" or approximate values, because the impedance of a speaker changes all the time with the different frequencies of music). A 4-ohm speaker draws more electric current through your AV receiver's output transistors, and since more current equals greater power, 4-ohm speakers tend to have greater dynamic range and play louder more easily than 8-ohm speakers."

So, yeah that's about AV receivers, but the impedance points are true for amps.

What you will read about AV receivers is that it doesn't really matter if you mix and match speakers of different impedance - at least as far as the output circuits of the receiver is concerned.

THAT'S NOT TRUE FOR GUITAR AMPS!

You should always have a load of whatever the minimum impedance the output circuit expects. So, an 8-ohm speaker would work fine plugged into a 4-ohm output circuit. But never lower as that will draw more current than the output circuit wants to put out.

So, then...if I got a 2x12 cabinet and loaded 2 8 ohm speakers wired parallel, it should be appreciably louder than my 1x12 8 ohm cabinet...

...I think I may start there...

November-01-2011-00-16-28-ScreenShot20111031at8.jpg

It comes down, in the end, to these 2 options...

Option 1 - purchase the 30 watt version of the TubeScreamer and use it with my 1x12 cabinet

Option 2 - get a 2x12 cabinet and use it with the amp I currently have

- or -

Option 3 - do both...

Rule #1 - If an amp is designed for an 8 ohm speaker, changing it to a 4 ohm may get louder but will also put a strain on the amps output section. Tube amps are more tolerant of the impedance mismatch but solid state just does not like it all.

Rule #2 - On solid state amps, do not mismatch the impedance. It can heavily stress the output section to the point of failure no matter what the output is. Also always have a speaker load attached. Worse is nothing attached to an amp to stress the output section even more.

@jelloman - If you want louder with what you got, get an open back cab. Upgrade the speaker to a better speaker.

So, then...if I got a 2x12 cabinet and loaded 2 8 ohm speakers wired parallel, it should be appreciably louder than my 1x12 8 ohm cabinet...

...I think I may start there...
Which would be a 4 ohm cab at that point and should be plugged into the 4 ohm tap on your amp.

And yes, 2 speakers will be louder than one.

But if you shoot a picture of the amp either on your gazebo or with your 13 vintage amps and boutique guitars the crystal lettuce will align to make any scumback or wherehouse speaker work.

Back