WTF: Smart watches...can anyone enlighten me?

CBHScott

How did I get here?
After seeing the "computers of the future c. 1981" thread, and the smart watch posts, it got me thinking.

There have been a few attempts in the past to try to get people to buy a "smart" watch, but most have failed. The current revival attempt by manufacturers was going to be DOA IMO, and I thought I was right; however, after perusing a deal site, I found that a bunch of people were going apeshit over a certain deal, so I guess the current smart watch "fad" (or, maybe not a fad) is taking off.

So, do any of you own one? If so, why? What does it do for you?

I has an intreeg...

Pulsar is smart enough for me, thanks.
pulsarp2led0.jpg

I like the magic of mechanical movement. My watches take a lot of abuse, I don't think a smart watch would last long on my wrist.

I am also a mechanical fan. The only thing I might use a wearable idevice for would be for running, since they can track heart rate etc. Maybe they will have an app to automatically dial 911 if I have a heart attack?

Motorola has one coming out called the Moto360.

Round metal housing, leather band, no exposed buttons or usb ports. It will charge sitting on an induction platform and will respond to voice commands and interface with your online or company email/calendar/apps.

Moto-360-watch.jpg

motorolla-smartwatch-moto-360-google-android-wear-05.jpg

I like the form factor of that Moto more than the other offerings out so far. But if it depends on voice commands that would be a big minus for me, hopefully there will be an alternative way of interfacing with it.

The only reason I would want one is to run apps like Runtastic on so I could track my running a little more.

Of course, I've got a Garmin running computer that's the size of a watch, and hooks up to a laptop or desktop once you get home, so I don't guess I really need a smartwatch.

I found my old Casio calculator watch a few weeks ago....still works too. I don't need one of these new smart watches now. I can entertain myself by typing HELL and BOOBIES in my calcuator watch.

All I learned was 71077345 (shelloil). Must be a local thang. messedup0

The only reason I would want one is to run apps like Runtastic on so I could track my running a little more.

Of course, I've got a Garmin running computer that's the size of a watch, and hooks up to a laptop or desktop once you get home, so I don't guess I really need a smartwatch.
WHAT?!? Of COURSE you need a smart watch!! cop0

If you don't get one, then other people won't...eventually the economy will fail...anarchy...Armageddon...dogs and cats living together in peace and harmony...

Do you want that on your conscience? How could you live with yourself?!?

Buy one on the way home...do it, and you save the world...

Back