Small powered sub recommendations?

micwalt

Too Controversial To Have An Athleisure Line
I have some pretty decent Carvin nearfield monitors that I've been using for years, but my I always end up having to tweak bass and kick drum levels and EQ after I listen to mixes on different systems. My most recent project, in particular, needed a lot changing, due to a specific kick drum sample I was using. So I'm thinking of getting a small powered sub. I'm looking at the KRK 8S and the Presonus Temblor T8. They get good reviews, are inexpensive, and will fit in my dinky studio.
Any thoughts?

scg062110_1848_36.jpg

What speakers convinced you that your mix needed changing? Any chance of using those speakers along with your Carvins?

Monitors are a tricky business and add on subs in a small room even more so. It all comes down to what do you trust?

No easy answer I'm afraid.

Personally I'd look for some thing that has tons of versatility cause matching a sub to a room is a crap shoot that you will probably lose unless you can set it up your way. Here's what I did:

I started with the power amp...a Crown xti 4000. The DSP in that thing is pretty comprehensive. Crossover points, Crossover slopes, EQ, Delay and more all very finely controlled via software called BandMix. Its free on the Crown website even if you bought the amp used.

I made sure that I wasn't going to end up with a "one note" sub so I got a flat, neutral, low distortion speaker (https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss265hf-8-10-reference-hf-subwoofer-8-ohm--295-442) that could do whatever I wanted it to. I built a sealed enclosure for a pair of them and called it a day. I can set the sub up to sound appropriate for anything and store that setting in one of 20 presets on the Crown. Home Theatre, Classical, Jazz, Dub, whatever.

This may sound like over kill but I assure you it isn't. You will need a sub to match your room AND do many styles when called upon. Your typical Guitar Center powered sub won't be able to keep up and will end up on Craigs List sooner than you think.

the sub

RZOjNnqh.jpg

the amp

yeHJ9Xlh.jpg

Oh and I paid 200 for the speakers (they were on sale), 400 for the Crown used (you can get lower powered XTI's for less) and way less than 100 bucks for the wood and paint. Total, less than 700, easily worth it for a sub that can inspire in any situation.

good luck!

Last edited:
Hmmm... lots of food for thought there. Thanks.
Listening on the stereo speakers in the living room gave me an inkling, but it was the car speakers where it was most egregious.
As I said, this has been a long-time issue. I alsways have to try to compensate for lack of bass response in my monitors. Sometimes I'm successful the first time; usually I'm not.

I spent a lot of time/effort/money/relationship capital trying to fix the acoustics in my basement studio. The bass response still was never right, so now I mix on headphones and guess/consult a frequency analyzer for everything under 100 hz.

Back