Small apartment tips.....

Denverdave

Resident Ragamuffin
The last time I lived in an apartment was a long, LONG time ago. I have been in townhomes or houses ever since. I move to the apt in 9 days and I am trying to figure out some stuff to get. I have very little furniture so that is ok.....but the kitchen is VERY small. I am attaching a pic of the layout. NO counter space at all. No dishwasher. Just over 500 sq feet.

floorplan_southglenn_sm1x1_lg_zpsde92cd29.gif

Since I know there are apartment dwellers on this forum any tips are appreciated. And something tells me the AC15 won't be used here.....

That could actually be a nice space.

You can play your electric, but watch the volume. Play your acoustic or plug into your computer.

buy a shelving unit with a countertop. It will help considerably.

Don't forget your single pan. *spits*

no dishwasher? I hope there are a ton of delivery joints near by.

That is Dave's part time job. Didn't you know that? :embarrassed:

Since I know there are apartment dwellers on this forum any tips are appreciated. And something tells me the AC15 won't be used here.....

You will be using a headphone amp Dave. Time to pickup a Pod.

A small powered amp my work pending your neighbors but no cranking the amp anymore...well at home.

From small apt experience I can warn you:
What you think is moderate practice volume sounds loud as heck to your neighbors.

The last time I lived in an apartment was a long, LONG time ago. I have been in townhomes or houses ever since. I move to the apt in 9 days and I am trying to figure out some stuff to get. I have very little furniture so that is ok.....but the kitchen is VERY small. I am attaching a pic of the layout. NO counter space at all. No dishwasher. Just over 500 sq feet.

floorplan_southglenn_sm1x1_lg_zpsde92cd29.gif

Every time I see a layout like this I wonder why they don't just eliminate the dining room, and give you a useable kitchen instead.

I was going to say, turn the "Dining Room" into your "Music Area" so it has it's own defined space. you'll likely eat at the counter or on the sofa anyways.

No counter space can be solved with a wide cutting board that fits over the sink. Likewise get a wide drying rack for drying dishes after hand-washing. Consider a bunk bed with desk below or bookshelves with an integrated desk/entertainment center to save more space.

I was going to say, turn the "Dining Room" into your "Music Area" so it has it's own defined space. you'll likely eat at the counter or on the sofa anyways.

I prefer bedroom with the music area. When you don't have a girl over, it is nice to fall asleep with a guitar in your arms. If Hendrix and SRV did it, why not me too?

My wife used to have to remove the guitar from my hands because I would fall asleep jamming.

Last edited:
If yøu want tø keep it simple and fairly cheap, get sømething new frøm Ikea each pay day. It løøks like there's øne Søuth of Denver.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/store/centennial

Add cøunter space and størage with øne of their free standing thingies.
kitchen_cart_seo.jpg

varde-shelving-unit__0097601_PE238330_S4.JPG

Beware of møøse crøssings.

I have been tø that støre many times. I will prøbably get øne of thøse islands. As løng as it is møøse apprøved.

Every time I see a layout like this I wonder why they don't just eliminate the dining room, and give you a useable kitchen instead.

That is where his computer as well I need somewhere to think other then the restroom room is.

That's my thought.

You're not going to need a formal dining room. Buy some cheap cabinets and formica counter tops from Habitat for Humanity and extend your counter and storage space.

I lived in a 300 sq ft apartment in college for a little over a year. It worked out pretty well because I kept most of my music gear in storage or a lockout. Also, shelves and book cases were a big help.

Back