Slow Dorian BT Jam!

mosiddiqi

The Curry Master
Staff member
I made up a short (what else?
redface.gif
) backing track to practice with and thought you guys might enjoy jamming on it. It's a pretty laid back Floyd'y sounding Dorian type progression.

The basic chords are Amin(min6, min7, min9)/D7 for the main part..and then Amin7/Bmin7/Dmin7/Emin7.

You can play pentatonics over the whole thing too
Totally_jammin_out.gif

Here's the BT:

http://www.box.net/shared/thi2asshgf

and my take to get us started, just a "go for it" kind of thing
redface.gif

http://www.box.net/shared/a8oodlc1bd

You know what to do!
Totally_jammin_out.gif

Nice, Mo! I've actually still been hanging out in the Lydian mode from you last one... I dig Dorian, and will have a go... Of course, you just freakin ripped it up on your take, and I made the mistake of listening before trying it myself!

:grin: Thanks Paul..I'm sure you'll bring the :rawk:...this is good practice for me..just creating the backing track I learned more about Reaper and Addictive Drums and Guitar Rig..:embarrassed:

:grin: Thanks Paul..I'm sure you'll bring the :rawk:...this is good practice for me..just creating the backing track I learned more about Reaper and Addictive Drums and Guitar Rig..:embarrassed:

I will attempt later - maybe today and I will not listen to Mo's jam. Mo bro, I had to relisten to your lydian and dammit - lol we did play almost the same notes. Funny because I listened to Mark's and someone else's so I wouldn't have remembered yours at all but that was just irony.

You are right though bro about learning your program, I am trying to do that with my Toontracks as well and may have just figured how to get it into Cubase as a recorded file and not midi. If that works, I will share my overdue Coverfest for the year you were born submission.

I will give this a shot later. I'm not going to listen to anyone else's recording before I do my take so I won't have any preconceived ideas when I hit record....

Brother Mo - Very nice playing dude. It is safe to say you definitely played more notes than I did and we didn't start out the same - :lol:

Brother Dave - I dig it bro :thu:

Okay Weiners here is my wanking over Mo's track. I used my new Tele built for this wank and the LivePodXT with my homemade David Gilmour program. I also edited the background track to suit what I hear so it is longer. I doubled the length of the 1st chorus and the trailing chorus it plays four times instead. I also have a ghost rhythm guitar playing punches in the background of the chorus section. I did because I heard something that I wanted to do :tongue:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10733272

Mo - Now see - this is why I didn't listen to anything before I recorded mine - I would not have even tried. That smoked.

Saint - Nice. I really liked the extended choruses - especially what you were doing over the end chorus. :thu:

Well, I ripped around on this quite a bit, but after several beers, I might just be better off waiting till tomorrow to actually record! I'm going to take a listen to your guys takes...

Thanks for the kind comments guys! :)..I'll listen to yours when I get home tonight.

Saint, there is NO WAY I was going to play less notes than you THIS time! :lol:

This is definitely a help to me. The more I listen to mine the worse it sounds. Aside from having absolutely no picking speed what so ever my phrasing of way off in points. There are a couple things in there I liked, but mostly a reminder that I have a lot of work to do to suck less.

Hey, you went for it, and there were definitely cool spots... Same for Saint, as usual, sounding good... I've been sitting here for the last hour wanking in A Dorian and am mustering up the nerve to record my cacophony...

This is definitely a help to me. The more I listen to mine the worse it sounds. Aside from having absolutely no picking speed what so ever my phrasing of way off in points. There are a couple things in there I liked, but mostly a reminder that I have a lot of work to do to suck less.

We all need work Dave. That is what the jam tracks are great for. Don't worry about speed as that comes with time. It is phrasing that makes you the man!

Hey, you went for it, and there were definitely cool spots... Same for Saint, as usual, sounding good... I've been sitting here for the last hour wanking in A Dorian and am mustering up the nerve to record my cacophony...

Thanks Paul. I tried on this one to use reduced gain so yes the stuck finger syndrome is present and IMO the major problem with modeling. With heavy distortion, the modelers sound great. In time I will be recording with my tube amps so I will get more of a pure recording that I am seeking with certain tones that I cannot achieve through modeling.

Oh yeah....waiting for your take Paulski! :poke:

OK - here is my take warts and all. All I did was add a bit of compression post recording. Not particularly impressive and some really bad notes in there as well - but it's something.

http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/253/01%20Dorian%20Jam.mp3

Dave...that is fine!..you made good use of the 6 and 9 notes, being the main characteristics of the Dorian mode, the only "bad notes" weren't really bad as such, you just didn't always nail the chord change..but hey, that's something we all need to work on :)..I wouldn't worry about the speed thing one iota. You have a nice touch and that's way more important. :thu:

Brother Mo - Very nice playing dude. It is safe to say you definitely played more notes than I did and we didn't start out the same - :lol:

Brother Dave - I dig it bro :thu:

Okay Weiners here is my wanking over Mo's track. I used my new Tele built for this wank and the LivePodXT with my homemade David Gilmour program. I also edited the background track to suit what I hear so it is longer. I doubled the length of the 1st chorus and the trailing chorus it plays four times instead. I also have a ghost rhythm guitar playing punches in the background of the chorus section. I did because I heard something that I wanted to do :tongue:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10733272

That's cool Randy! :rawk:..I like what you did with your phrasing in particular, nice "sheets of sound" kind of thing..:thu:..quite a few Santana'esqe touches too!

That's cool Randy! :rawk:..I like what you did with your phrasing in particular, nice "sheets of sound" kind of thing..:thu:..quite a few Santana'esqe touches too!

Thanks brother Mo. Phrasing is really what I was interested in as this BT is really IMO setup to do. I did some other takes I had pentatonic licks and tricks in there but that wasn't my target.

Paulskirocks dude :thu:

Sounded like you were using a Tele bro.

:) Maybe I should be paulskiwanks! Yep, that was the tele with both pickups in series... I might try again with the Les Paul if I get excited... It was definitely a fun little jam, and not too long...

Nice paulski!...actually reminded me of Jimmy Page in places...kinda like the live version of "No Quarter"..classic Dorian licks..very cool! :thu:

Thanks, Mo, this was a fun exercise, as always... Admittedly, I have been hugely influenced by Page, right down to my sloppy playing!

Back