Slotted bridge posts. Has Gibson ever used them?

GomezAddams

Wandering and wondering
Staff member
There's a guy selling a LP on one of my local facebook groups that has slotted large diameter bridge posts. When I pointed out that it was a fake, he replied that he had this guitar checked by a Gibson dealer when he bought it, and they verified it was authentic and that Gibson did use slotted large diameter bridge posts at various points over the last 20 years. He claims all the other tell-tale fake signs are missing (no fret nibs, truss rod cover weirdness, neck scarf joint, etc). He's going to send pics tonight when he gets home from work.

I call bullshit, but I can't find a statement from Gibson or other authoritative websites that explicitly state Gibson has never used them. Even Gibson web page on spotting fakes doesn't mention them (which I find extremely odd since that's usually a dead giveaway).

Anyone know of an authoritative source?

Pics would help.
So far, he's only posted one pic, and it shows a slotted bridge post. I'm sure the guitar is fake. I was just wondering if there is an authoritative source that documents Gibson has never used slotted bridge posts.

He's supposed to post more pics tonight when he gets home from work, but I somehow imagine that something will come up tonight which prevents him from doing so.

Like I said in the original post, I find it very odd that Gibson's own web page on spotting fakes doesn't mention slotted bridge posts since that is usually the first thing a person would notice on a fake Gibson.

Send Gibson the serial and ask them to see if it checks out. They have this stuff on record, and even have photos of guitars from recent years.

Any pic would work for me, as I'm unable to picture what you mean by slotted bridge post and teh interwebz throws up all sorts of various bridges, tailpieces, bridge pins, etc.

A pic from the webernet of a slotted bridge post TOM.

Slotted Bridge Post.jpg

I hadn't considered that someone would have replaced an actual Gibson TOM bridge with an aftermarket TOM type bridge. @Help!I'maRock! did you have to plug and re-drill the post holes in the body? As far as I know, there are no aftermarket TOM clones that are drop in replacement for Gibson's.

I hadn't considered that someone would have replaced an actual Gibson TOM bridge with an aftermarket TOM type bridge. @Help!I'maRock! did you have to plug and re-drill the post holes in the body? As far as I know, there are no aftermarket TOM clones that are drop in replacement for Gibson's.

I had a tech do it. The post holes were widened to accommodate.

Also, there are plenty of aftermarket TOM clones that are drop in replacements. Just not with a slotted head.

I had a tech do it. The post holes were widened to accommodate.

Also, there are plenty of aftermarket TOM clones that are drop in replacements. Just not with a slotted head.

Oh, I realize there are tons of aftermarket TOM replacements that are drop-in, but I'd never heard of a slotted post TOM that wasn't metric sized (which would not be drop-in).

In any case, the douchebag deleted the facebook post.

I wish I'd have done screenshots of the conversation so I could post them on the group.

Epiphone has used those. Back in the 90s, I replaced the craptastic ABR-1 bridge on my Gibson SG with this:

s-l300.jpg

So it's entirely possible it's not a fake, and someone replaced the bridge. However, pics would help.

What bridge is that? (I'm not a Gibby geek, obviously :grin:)
I'm at my wits end with my LP and swapping the bridge is the last resort I'm at now, swapped out everything else and the fucker just won't stay in tune for more than 2 songs unless heavily lubricated. I love the sound of it, but it just can't be used on any gig if I can't sort the fucking bastard out.

What bridge is that? (I'm not a Gibby geek, obviously :grin:)
I'm at my wits end with my LP and swapping the bridge is the last resort I'm at now, swapped out everything else and the fucker just won't stay in tune for more than 2 songs unless heavily lubricated. I love the sound of it, but it just can't be used on any gig if I can't sort the fucking bastard out.
It's a Gotoh.

It's a Gotoh.

Cool, will check that out.

Have to say...I'm really pissed off at Gibson. 1k for a new guitar that can't fucking stay in tune, while I use Chapmans, old Japanese Strats, and Mexican/Korean Teles (even an OLP Baritone) without any problems gig after gig.

You'd think that a guitar for that price would work as advertised, and not need fucking 500$ of upgrades to properly work.

Sorry, I really have a love/hate relationship thing with that LP. :embarrassed:

Cool, will check that out.

Have to say...I'm really pissed off at Gibson. 1k for a new guitar that can't fucking stay in tune, while I use Chapmans, old Japanese Strats, and Mexican/Korean Teles (even an OLP Baritone) without any problems gig after gig.

You'd think that a guitar for that price would work as advertised, and not need fucking 500$ of upgrades to properly work.

Sorry, I really have a love/hate relationship thing with that LP. :embarrassed:
Pretty much every new Gibson my students buy have tuning issues. It's ridiculous. I have own two Les Pauls that stay in tune just fine but I've owned them forever and the one I bought new needed a ridiculous amount of work before it was solid and playable.

Pretty much every new Gibson my students buy have tuning issues. It's ridiculous. I have own two Les Pauls that stay in tune just fine but I've owned them forever and the one I bought new needed a ridiculous amount of work before it was solid and playable.

I know how to do basic setup on a guitar, tuners are locking Grovers and the nut is a Graphtech. Even with a crappy bridge it should stay in tune. It's fucking ridiculous.
Gonna try a new bridge but if that doesn't work I'm selling the cunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know how to do basic setup on a guitar, tuners are locking Grovers and the nut is a Graphtech. Even with a crappy bridge it should stay in tune. It's fucking ridiculous.
Gonna try a new bridge but if that doesn't work I'm selling the cunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem is the nut/tuners, not the bridge. I gave up and sold the fucker. Honestly, it's not worth putting any more money into.

Interesting turn of events. They guy posted photos, and his guitar is a genuine Gibson. Someone before him had swapped the Gibson TOM for a Tone Pro bridge. I shouldn't have been surprised because the same person apparently swapped out all the Gibson pots for aftermarket ones, and put EMG pickups in.

Back