Skynyrd still amazes me

Scott Powell

Blackmore Wannabe
I never fail to be amazed that Three Guitarists and a Piano player all play for the song. no ne tries to big dick the other guys ,and no one steps on any one's toes.There are bands iIlike like better,but I'm hard pressed to see a band in which the members compliment each other so well

I got a new respect for them after hearing "Sweet Home Alabama" on a long road trip last month and really listening to the sarcasm in the lyrics. Add "That Smell" and "Mr Saturday Nite Special" and they were really talking smack about the south.

Back in 1993 I saw Lynyrd walking down the street in Atlanta. I wouldn't normally bother a celebrity, but I yelled out "Hey, Lynyrd, I love your music!," and he turned around and shook my hand, and we talked for like ten minutes. He couldn't have been more gracious to talk to a fan. Stand up guy.

I loved Skynyrd when I was a kid. First album I bought with my own money was Street Survivors. I jammed on a lot of freebird with my guitar playing friends. As my step-dad used to say "them southern boys take their guitar pickin' seriously - you listen to them".

A couple years ago I saw the band with the name Lynyrd Skynyrd. While I appreciated what they were doing, it was a disappointing experience.

A couple years ago I saw the band with the name Lynyrd Skynyrd. While I appreciated what they were doing, it was a disappointing experience.

One should view the current Skynyrd as a really good tribute band - fine musicians doing a great job with Skynyrd tunes, but not really Skynyrd.

Heard the songs on the radio a million times growing up but I never thought much about them as a kid. Then when I was 16 or seventeen I saw Freebird The Movie (documentary & live at knebworth) and it really gave me an appreciation for how they were. The radio hits are a bit tired, and they've become some comical tribute version of what they were, but I'm definitely a fan of their 70's material.

A once great band that has a lot of baggage. Love the 70's era before the crash, but after that it was like they were trying to put the lightning back in the bottle.

A very misunderstood band, by both their fans and detractors.

i loved the tunes back in the 70's and have played the absolute crap out of their songs in bands. lots of bands played their songs around town in the 80's/90's, but we were the only ones doing "I Know a Little" and reasonably correctly.
but anymore, unless i am listening to/watching (youtube) ACTUAL original skynyrd, i don't want to hear it at all.
ed king and steve gaines were monsters and i love a lot of their tricky little licks, but i don't want to hear it on the radio, nor in the bars.

and i HATE their fans. drunk redneck assholes that just will NOT let it go.

Scott have you watched the Muscle Shoals documentary yet? There's a bit in it about Skynyrd which explains how the piano factored in. I'd never the heard the story until seeing the doc last year.

Scott have you watched the Muscle Shoals documentary yet? There's a bit in it about Skynyrd which explains how the piano factored in. I'd never the heard the story until seeing the doc last year.

are you talking about how billy powell was a roadie and when they were working on free bird, he was noodling around on the piano and ronnie goes "hey that's what we need on this song" ?
i heard that story back in the 70's.

are you talking about how billy powell was a roadie and when they were working on free bird, he was noodling around on the piano and ronnie goes "hey that's what we need on this song" ?
i heard that story back in the 70's.

Per the doc, it was actually one of the guys from the studio that heard him playing and told the guys in the band they needed to hear him...or something like that. Either way, I'd never heard about that before.

Growing up Southern in the 70's and having bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Outlaws, Molly Hatchet, and ABB was wonderful. The sound track of my teens that saved us from disco.

Growing up Southern in the 70's and having bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Outlaws, Molly Hatchet, and ABB was wonderful. The sound track of my teens that saved us from disco.

yea, i was stationed a hour from Jax from '75-'79. spent many weekends in Jax and saw a bunch of bands in bars that turned out to be pretty big. hatchet, 38 special, grinderswitch (not so big)....etc. got to meet some of them and sat in with a few. good times.

@Scott Powell
when you said there was no steppin' on each other.....you DO realize that ronnie made those guys rehearse these songs literally hundreds of times until it was PERFECT.....you know that, right? ronnie was a slave driver....i'm just sayin'

Back