New Lesson - Sing a String...

That's really useful, actually. I sang Madrigal acapella in early high school, so can I actually sing, but still find it awkward while playing.

That's really useful, actually. I sang Madrigal acapella in early high school, so can I actually sing, but still find it awkward while playing.

It took me a while too. I really honed my singing skills in a garage studio by myself screaming background vocals on my band's demos.

Nicely done Tom!!!

The irony of it is all is what Tom is singing are pretty much the harmonies in both "What I Like About You" and "Rock In The USA". My band in the 80's used to run those to songs together.

If the chords define the harmony, then the notes in the chords - the "chord tones" - will work as harmonies. Picking a string constrains the voice as the harmony changes. This is extremely clever and I only feel a bit stupid that I had to have it pointed out; thanks.

If the chords define the harmony, then the notes in the chords - the "chord tones" - will work as harmonies. Picking a string constrains the voice as the harmony changes. This is extremely clever and I only feel a bit stupid that I had to have it pointed out; thanks.

Yeah, it's kind of a no brainer. When you study SATB harmony in theory, you notice that the sopranos (melody) and the basses are defined, but that the alto and tenor notes are flexible, and you are even taught to not move them if you don't have to.

Back