Since we have guys from a few different forums on how about a Poast yer Gear thread?

They are definitely worth the cash :love:

The other thing holding me back is that I don't play/record as much acoustic guitar these days, and certainly not where the acoustic is front and center with a lot of room in the mix. Still, it would be nice to have a great mic option for those 2-3 times a year that I am recording an acoustic based song.

Due to laziness and a lack of gear I was using the piezo pickup and going direct for a long time, which, in retrospect, really sucked. Now I'm using two (non-paired) LDC mics - are the Jospehsons going to give me a similar kind of upgrade as the LDC mics did over the piezo pickup?

Here's a representative sample of the acoustic sound I get now:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7276828

This is an impossible task for me. I've been collecting/hoarding gear for centuries and it's spread out between here (SoCal) and Florida.

You all know my affinity for Japanese fenders. I have several MIJ Fenders and Squiers as well as MIA and MIM Strats. A few Lesters (Both Gibby and Epi), A Kramer, a few Ibanez' here and there. At last count I was around 30 (?) with electrics. I only have a few acoustics and they range from a $129.00 GC house Brand Mitchell, to a 1986 Takamine to a pair of Taylor's.

Amp wise, I have a pretty full assortment ranging from an AC30, Fender twin reverb, an old (mid 80's) Music Man combo (that KILLS!), JCM 800 (which hasn't been powered up in years), even a Line 6 Spider III 2x12 combo.

My "main" amps though are a matched pair of H&H Modified 1982 Roland JC-120's originally used by the band A Flock of Seagulls. These things will create an F5 tornado of terror on a loudness scale and are clean as a whistle at ANY volume.

Effects wise... well, I'm an effects whore like no other. I have pretty much every Boss pedal made in the last 30 years, a ton of old Ibanez, DOD and Digitech pedals as well. I use mostly rack or multi boxes now days and they range from Digitech 2101 Artist Pro, to a Boss GT8, ART "Night Train", even my trusty (and much maligned) RP3.

There's a few basses laying around here and there. Nothing outrageous, just a couple of Ibanez' of varying qualities. I have a Fender Bass amp (cheapy) and a big ol' Trace Elliot from Hell that ... Much like the Marshall... rarely sees a power outlet.

I am an EBOW Slut. I have 4 of them from different time periods including the original all metal "Stapler" looking one.

Don't get me started on my collection of Synths, drum machines and other "Electronica" related stuff. :grin:

I am an EBOW Slut. I have 4 of them from different time periods including the original all metal "Stapler" looking one.
Do they still make the metal eBow? I've got the plastic el-cheapo (which wasn't really cheap), and I've always been on the lookout for one...in fact, I only saw one ever, from a distance, and wasn't really sure it was metal.

The other thing holding me back is that I don't play/record as much acoustic guitar these days, and certainly not where the acoustic is front and center with a lot of room in the mix. Still, it would be nice to have a great mic option for those 2-3 times a year that I am recording an acoustic based song.

Due to laziness and a lack of gear I was using the piezo pickup and going direct for a long time, which, in retrospect, really sucked. Now I'm using two (non-paired) LDC mics - are the Jospehsons going to give me a similar kind of upgrade as the LDC mics did over the piezo pickup?

Maybe not as brutal an upgrade sonically as your LDCs compared to the piezo, but definitely a difference.
Also, the big advantage with SDCs is that they're a lot faster than the LDCs.
Which is why mics with the larger diaphragm tend to sound a bit dull on things we normally use SDCs for.

You've heard my acoustic guitar sound, and all I ever do is highpass at about 100Hz, compress and that's it. That's the thing with good mics (and preamps for that matter), you don't have to fight the sound - it just works.

I had a proper OMFG moment the first time I recorded the acoustic with the Josephsons in an XY pattern, and then upon playback hard panned the mics left and right. A truly glorious sound :love:

Laziness is my biggest acoustic problem. My space isn't big enough for me to leave my acoustic mics set up which means I don't want to break them out and start over every time. Since I primarily like to record acoustic type stuff, this means I don't record as much as I'd like. :embarrassed:

Laziness is my biggest acoustic problem. My space isn't big enough for me to leave my acoustic mics set up which means I don't want to break them out and start over every time. Since I primarily like to record acoustic type stuff, this means I don't record as much as I'd like. :embarrassed:

Get over it, man :tongue:

Do they still make the metal eBow? I've got the plastic el-cheapo (which wasn't really cheap), and I've always been on the lookout for one...in fact, I only saw one ever, from a distance, and wasn't really sure it was metal.

No, they haven't made a metal one for about 20 years. To this day, the EBOW is made by one guy who essentially works out of his garage. He uses all plastic these days and the availability of them depends on whether or not he felt like assembling any in the last few months :grin:

The newer (plastic) ones are cool, they sound great (Especially the EBOW Plus). They are light and ergonomic and have decent battery life. The original is a bit heavier, a bit less user friendly and eats through a battery in no time. It also produces some insane harmonics and feedback that the newer ones can't match.

You've heard my acoustic guitar sound, and all I ever do is highpass at about 100Hz, compress and that's it. That's the thing with good mics (and preamps for that matter), you don't have to fight the sound - it just works.

I had a proper OMFG moment the first time I recorded the acoustic with the Josephsons in an XY pattern, and then upon playback hard panned the mics left and right. A truly glorious sound :love:

I believe I am on record saying that I love your acoustic sound. And the "it just works" argument is incredibly compelling to me. I've spent enough time trying to tweak crappy sounds to know that, at least when I am engineering, a sub-optimal sound going in is not ever going to turn into a good sound coming out (I can occasionally manage to turn a horrible sound into a sub-optimal sound, but that's not really the goal here).

Hopefully I can swing the Jospehsons in 2010.

I believe I am on record saying that I love your acoustic sound. And the "it just works" argument is incredibly compelling to me. I've spent enough time trying to tweak crappy sounds to know that, at least when I am engineering, a sub-optimal sound going in is not ever going to turn into a good sound coming out (I can occasionally manage to turn a horrible sound into a sub-optimal sound, but that's not really the goal here).

Hopefully I can swing the Jospehsons in 2010.

Yeah, I've become quite a believer in the "you get what you pay for" theory when it comes to studio gear. Although expensive, good audio gear helps you in getting a good sound quicker and easier than with the cheap stuff. The trick is knowing what you need for the material you're doing, cause there's a fuckload of options out there :embarrassed:
I did a lot of reading on the net before getting the Josephsons :wink:

The only really good stuff I've come across in the cheap to mid priced section would be the FMR stuff (Really Nice Mic Pre/Compressor).

Fender strat
An acoustic guitar that's falling apart
Fender Jazz Bass

Roland cube 30
Behringer 15 watt
Line 6 toneport ux2 (this is all i use now)

I've sold a couple of guitars in the last month- Epiphone Les Paul Standard and a Gibson Les Paul Studio.

I bet they would sound really great on one of these:

489775.jpg

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-GA7-Grand-Auditorium-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=517625

The more I think about it, the more this feels like 2011.

I played one of those. Super frackin' hot!

You're a helper. :embarrassed:

Really though, I spend a lot more time these days playing keyboards than I do playing acoustic guitar, and I think a controller with weighted keys and a better foot pedal would pay off in an immediate and noticeable improvement in a much larger percentage of my songs.

I got lotsa stuff. Here's the highlights. :)

What I use most often:
rig1_sm.jpg
TaylorSideSm.jpg
<-- less blingy cutaway version of that gorgeous Taylor ^^^
PedalBoard0809_sm.jpg

Then there's these that I love too:
FenderStrat2_sm.bmp
GibsonFB4_sm.jpg

GibsonSG1_sm.jpg
PedalSteel2_sm.jpg

Last edited:
You're a helper. :embarrassed:

Really though, I spend a lot more time these days playing keyboards than I do playing acoustic guitar, and I think a controller with weighted keys and a better foot pedal would pay off in an immediate and noticeable improvement in a much larger percentage of my songs.

I love my M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro. It certainly doesn't feel like the real deal, but I love playing it. I've found myself playing that a lot more lately when I'm writing than my acoustics.

Back