Silvertone LB11

My daughter wants to learn bass guitar and picked out this guitar online.

It doesn't cost much and comes with an amp. It has some good reviews on Amazon, but wanted to see what you guys think about it.

She's 15 and this is her first bass guitar.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

I had one of these for a while as just a knockaround bass. It was adequate at best. I've since replaced it with a really nice Ibanez. The LB11 will be fine for her to learn some basics on, but it's hardly a real bass. Keep in mind that cheap instruments are harder to learn on, as the action is a little higher (meaning the strings are higher off the fretboard, and therefore harder to make them sound a proper note). The sound quality suffers, and they tend to feed back at higher volumes more easily, making it difficult if she should try to use it in a band setting. This is generally less the case with basses than guitars, but can still hold true. My advice? Spend a few bucks more on something like an Ibanez or a Stagg. Maybe even a Squier, but not the Affinity model. My 2 cents.

Thanks. She ended up not ordering a guitar at all. We will most likely wait awhile and get one of the ones you mentioned if she is still interested.

Back