Show us your "studio"!

What is all in your rack, Mark? And is all that stuff pretty much rendered obsolete with the computer recording?

What is all in your rack, Mark? And is all that stuff pretty much rendered obsolete with the computer recording?

Yea...I just found an Alesis digital reverb, an Alesis 2 channel compressor, a spring reverb, some old computer mic pre that I don't remember owning :)facepalm:) and some other goodies....

Yea...I just found an Alesis digital reverb, an Alesis 2 channel compressor, a spring reverb, some old computer mic pre that I don't remember owning :)facepalm:) and some other goodies....

biggrin

Got it. I have been looking at used Alesis stuff.

biggrin

Got it. I have been looking at used Alesis stuff.

Let me know what you're looking at...I might have it...since I'm in the room next to the rack at the moment (our Funk class is rehearsing for their show on Saturday) here are the names of the gear that you might be into...the rest isn't worth shit for what you are looking at....

Alesis 3630 Compressor

Alesis XT:c Digital Reverb

Alesis ADAT

Midiman "fineline"

Well, the reverb and compressor i might be interested in.

If you dont think you need them, let me know what you are asking. But if you dont want to part with them, no worries.

Well, the reverb and compressor i might be interested in.

If you dont think you need them, let me know what you are asking. But if you dont want to part with them, no worries.

I don't need them...I need to power them up to make sure they work its been so long since they've been use...make an offer and they're yours!

I don't need them...I need to power them up to make sure they work its been so long since they've been use...make an offer and they're yours!

OK, i'll see where i stand and i'll let you know. I have airline tix to buy too. biggrin

What kind of mics are you using for the drums?

I've found that with enough EQ, compression, and reverb, you can make even the shittiest sounding drums sound halfway decent on tape. :embarrassed:

What kind of mics are you using for the drums?

I've found that with enough EQ, compression, and reverb, you can make even the shittiest sounding drums sound halfway decent on tape. :embarrassed:

Just to try it in the few minutes I had yesterday I used a pair of Sennheiser e609's for overheads (NOT what they are supposed to be used for, just the only thing I have 2 of), and SM57 on the snare an some crappy Beyerdynamic vocal mic with no high end for the kick drum. The overheads by themselves actually sounded the best....the other two mics had too much of everything else bled on them.

My biggest problem is that I only have 30-40 minutes a day to experiment and learn how to use Cubase so its going to be a little while.

Plus, I'm not buying a pair of monitors or any more mics until May...I've blown my gear budget out of the water already this month....

I've been using Audio Technica AT2020s as overheads lately. That's not what they were intended for, but I've got two of them, and they sound pretty good. At $99 each, they are a very useful addition to a budget studio. I've done vocals, bass, acoustic guitars and drum overheads with them.

I also have an Audix D6 for the kick drum. I like it a lot. You don't have to position it very carefully, and it's EQ'd pretty well on its own without having to mess with it much. It's $200 though.

You know what might work well for you in the interim? Stick that Shure KSM on a stand about 6 feet in front of the drums. Close mic the kick with the e609 and the snare with an SM57.

The KSM will probably sound pretty good as a room mic, and it'll pick up the cymbals and toms just fine, I would think.

I'll try that...I can get the AT2020's and the D6 from Musicorp for dealer cost....the Audix kick mics have a good reputation...

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG00185.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

You've gotten some good sounding stuff out of that rig^^^

Thanks! :)..that Yamaha is ancient by todays standards..and quite complicated to use, but I'm just used to it and like how it sounds particularly with the Safe Sound pre-amp..which is really good on vocals particularly. I put in a Waves Y56 expansion card into the Yamaha which adds really good quality (to my ears) mastering/compression/limiting. I think Micwalt has the same model Yamaha. I still demo everything in Reaper, but when it's time to get real stuff done, the Yamaha is my first choice. Our occasional drummer has a really good studio set up with pro-tools and the like..way over my head..and we use that sometimes if it's available, he rents the studio out so it's pot luck with that.

Oh, for mics we use Shure SM58 Beta for vocals (Lisa's favourite) and an SM57 for guitars and also a Studio Projects C1..which is a really nice sounding condenser.

I just took my first studio photos since getting the new floors.

The drums
Drums.jpg

Guitar amps
guitar.jpg

The lounge area
lounge.jpg

The recording/workshop area.
desk.jpg

my little set-up

b81hjn.jpg

I use headphones when recording, for the most part.
though those Polk speakers are nice.

all the guitars are in a cubby of sorts right next to where I was standing.
with the exception of the Virgin and the Haagstrom 8-str, which are within arm's reach of my chair.

the PodX3 is on the floor right under the monitor.

the keyboard is under the towl in the bottom left corner of the pic.

and to save y'all clicking a link, here's a pic of the other gear.

sorry for the big pic.

2dj51xs.jpg

the SG, LP, and the Haagstrom get the most use, I'd say.
thinking of selling the Rich Avenge.
don't play it much these days.

Back