Show us your bike

8b3ce54c12dda561f5b525be93569bd3.jpg

f03c27e6e1582be8d5ff671c71030b48.jpg

0353ff7484ac58701202be25b7cded09.jpg

3540097C-EC9C-471D-ADB6-7A190B38C16D_zpswwl2j4kr.jpg~original

This is part of my other bike tribe, the Phat Dads. Or so we loosely call ourselves. Just other Dads like me. Less aggressive than my Thursday night group. But fun guys to ride with and good friends.

54A60872-E7EF-4573-9602-0F2276E58CBC_zpsm9mlyaiv.jpg~original

This is on a traverse over to the "Forbidden Fruit" flow trail. This little single track is what a lot of the less used single is like around here. When you get to the flow trail, it is a whole different deal. Jumps, banks, etc. No mandatory jumps really. I, myself, get a little "credit card air", but nothing to big. We have been getting a lot of rain lately, and it was great to get a ride in before the afternoon thunderstorms rolled in. Trails were great!

I talked to someone recently with a bicycle that was almost $7000. Then he was talking about how it was six pounds lighter than a comparable model that was $1000, and that's a major selling point for that cost. Talk about yer diminishing returns.

I talked to someone recently with a bicycle that was almost $7000. Then he was talking about how it was six pounds lighter than a comparable model that was $1000, and that's a major selling point for that cost. Talk about yer diminishing returns.

I could lose 6 pounds quicker and with less pain than earning and spending the $6000 difference! :wink:

I think you can spend upwards of 15K if you really want to on a bike :zoinks:

It really needs to come with a motor at that price.

I think you can spend upwards of 15K if you really want to on a bike :zoinks:

It really needs to come with a motor at that price.
At my shop I have bikes that retail for $14,000.
Sell them almost weekly. It's just a matter of the value you want to put into your hobbies. Some people can justify a $14,000 bike just like people that have $14,000 guitars. There comes a point when the equipment isn't going to make any difference in your performance at any price.
I have a guitar I paid $1800 for and it's awesome. But I still suck playing that guitar just like I suck playing the one that came free with rocksmith.

The cycling equivalent of the blooz dentist is the MAMIL - 'middle-aged man in lycra'. It is not generally a term of endearment.

Sell them almost weekly. It's just a matter of the value you want to put into your hobbies. Some people can justify a $14,000 bike just like people that have $14,000 guitars. There comes a point when the equipment isn't going to make any difference in your performance at any price.
I have a guitar I paid $1800 for and it's awesome. But I still suck playing that guitar just like I suck playing the one that came free with rocksmith.

Truth

And far be it for me to decide how someone else wants to spend their money. I could never justify that kind of scratch for either a guitar or a bicycle even if I can afford it. But it's their money so they can do with it what they want, even if some old guy on a 30 year old bike blows past them :Wave:

I've never payed more than $2800 for a bike, but most of those were employee discount or team sponsored prices.

You can buy only so much performance in a bike or guitar. The rest us up to you.

I've never payed more than $2800 for a bike, but most of those were employee discount or team sponsored prices.

You can buy only so much performance in a bike or guitar. The rest us up to you.

I typically have spent what it took to get a nice production bike (talking mountain bike here) with decent full suspension, set up either with XT for the rear derailleur and LX or whatever for the rest, or X9/X7 for Sram. A couple bikes ago, that was around $1500, then last bike up to near 2k. Now to get what I want, I think I would be plus or minus 3k for a full suspension 29er with decent components that I can replace as they wear out.

I tend to keep my mountain bikes for around 7 years, except for my original from '89 that I still own. I keep my road bikes a lot longer. I finally replaced my '88 Trek with aused but nice Merckx frame from @Tig last year.

My current mountain bike is a 2007 and really worn out. Currently shopping. Probably will be something like the Kona 111, possibly a similar Devinci, though I like the Kona more, or if I buck up, a custom frame with some used but nicer than I normally get parts from my buddy Erik at Alliance. If I do that, it will be more a good deal more than the Kona, but will be at a good guy price.

Since I keep them so long, it is worth it to me to spend enough, but not too much as I can lose some beer weight before I spend 500 more to save 1.5 lbs. I need a good frame, good suspension, decent wheels (don't need carbon), decent but not top of the line components, and this time, a decent dropper post.

Reactions: Tig
I.......

I tend to keep my mountain bikes for around 7 years, except for my original from '89 that I still own. I keep my road bikes a lot longer. I finally replaced my '88 Trek with aused but nice Merckx frame from @Tig last year.......

I imagine MB is harder on bikes. I still ride my 2nd bike that I bought, first one I got when I was 11 a 10 speed that I beat the hell out of but it got stolen. The second I bought in my last year of college. My third and most recent was 2 years ago. So the 2nd it about 33 years old, still original chain and gears. Still works well and is less likely to be stolen than the new one (a Caad10-3). I sometimes think the old open will outlast the new one. After 33 of virtually no maintenance it seems indestructible, it might still be around after WWIII :grin:

I keep everything for years. The new car in our house is 17 years old. My most recent guitar purchase was 2006...I don't do a good job of keeping up with the Jones :Wave:

That Bianchi is beautiful I almost bought one but the CAAD10 was just too good a deal to pass up (about 1000 off list)

I imagine MB is harder on bikes. I still ride my 2nd bike that I bought, first one I got when I was 11 a 10 speed that I beat the hell out of but it got stolen. The second I bought in my last year of college. My third and most recent was 2 years ago. So the 2nd it about 33 years old, still original chain and gears. Still works well and is less likely to be stolen than the new one (a Caad10-3). I sometimes think the old open will outlast the new one. After 33 of virtually no maintenance it seems indestructible, it might still be around after WWIII :grin:

I keep everything for years. The new car in our house is 17 years old. My most recent guitar purchase was 2006...I don't do a good job of keeping up with the Jones :Wave:

That Bianchi is beautiful I almost bought one but the CAAD10 was just too good a deal to pass up (about 1000 off list)
Yes. the first and primary enemy is dirt. You are in it all the time if you are doing it right. Eats up components, chains, suspension parts, etc. And then you have material/metal fatigue over time. You do not want your frame to fail on a fast downhill through a rock garden. You don't want to keep carbon parts forever too. When the carbon parts break, such as a carbon handlebar, they break. And that is usually not good.

I am as cheap as the next guy. Maybe even cheaper. But one needs to keep you back country gear in good order. It becomes a safety issue.

I got better than a $1000 of list, I got it for $8000 off list. When it comes to road, I won't ride aluminum unless I am racing a criterium.
Otherwise it better be carbon , Ti or good old fashioned steel.
If I am riding a bike 4 times a week or more I replace the chain every month to prevent premature wear on the rest of the drivetrain

If I am riding a bike 4 times a week or more I replace the chain every month to prevent premature wear on the rest of the drivetrain

I have typically done at least one, or maybe two chains per summer mountain bike season, starting typically in late April or early May to early/mid November. I waited too long on the last chain and now I am just riding this tranny out til it is dead, as I hope to have a new bike by then. the new chain stretch measuring tools seem very useful and I plan to add one to my kit.

Back