Help! Should I or shouldn't I?

bsman

b00b
I have a 1960 Fender Musicmaster and I have been contemplating converting it to a duo sonic (simple conversion -- just replace the pickguard with one of these:

https://stratosphereparts.com/fender-duo-sonic-loaded-pickguard-single-coils-guitar-parts-prewired/

Seems to me it would increase the utility of the guitar without doing any permanent modifications. Just not sure that the MIM screws would line up perfectly with the ones on the current pickguard, but I'm not sure that's a deal-breaker, since vintage Musicmasters aren't exactly a hot commodity.

What say you?

35963612346_b9e33904c3_b.jpg

You may want to check under the guard first. I had a vintage MM and it isn't routed for the switch.
mm.PNG

Good point -- hadn't thought about that! I will check when I get home. I sure don't want to mess up the body....

A previous owner routed the bridge pickup, or made it larger to put in a humbucker, so I'm not sure if it is routed for a single either. Seems like it would, so they only had one route pattern. The old Duo Sonic's had the Mustang switching, not a 3 way on the lower horn.

If it is routed for a bridge pickup but no switch, I would remove the pickguard, pickup, the controls and plate. Then, new guard, pickups, control plate and maybe go stacked volume control instead of a switch, or see if it is routed for Mustang switching.

Back