Gig Report: Short gig report....

Denverdave

Resident Ragamuffin
We had our first show last night in a few months. It showed at times. We also have not rehearsed enough lately. That showed at times too. Overall the first two sets went well. Parts of the last two went well. And a few train wrecks. A decent crowd though the first three sets as well!

A couple things of note. After our first set I saw our drummer talking to an older guy (60s) I didn't recognize. Looked like a biker. Seemed cool. He stayed through the second set then left. Ends up he owns two clubs in town and was checking us out for future bookings. And, of course, in the opening song of the second set (Fly Like An Eagle) our lead singer totally screwed up the song. Started the vocals in the chorus instead of the verse....skipped a bunch of stuff. We stayed with him but not a good impression on the guy. We have never messed that song up before....not even in rehearsal. Luckily we absolutely nailed the next two tunes and we should be getting booked in one of he clubs soon.

We also had a 'friend' of the bass player sing a couple tunes with us. Good singer....a bit of a looker as well. AND a trail runner. I think they are a bit more than friends. Fun having a good chick singer on stage...

Also was the debut of the revamped pedal board. First show with the new delay (Digitech DL-8) and the new distortion pedal (Cmatmods Ratified). The Ratified is freakin' killer. Nice fat dirt. Lots of tonal ground covered. I do need to play with it more at home to find the sweet spot but That pedal stays. The DL-8 sounded good but I need to work on a good base setting and getting in and out of the tap tempo was a bit rough. Reading the manual better might have helped, but that would require reading the manual. I did definitely see the need for a low gain OD as well. I have that narrowed down to two possibilities - Cmatmods Buttah or a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive Mod. When I am doing stuff like Black Crows/Stones I like just a touch of dirt and I do not want to reset the Signa Drive to do that during the sets. At times I can seriously see the need for four dirt pedals to do classic rock covers....I'll stop at three.

And - out bass player came up with a very cool new band logo....

11205011_837665976303397_4646244930193454633_n.jpg

Looks like overall you guys had a great time Dave even with the mess up on Eagle. Hope you guys get the gig at the other club.

Sounds like fun. Have you tried using the signs drive and rolling back the guitar volume to clean it up a bit? Far be it from me to talk someone out of buying a pedal :grin: but that is what I have been doing with my Bluebonnet lately and it sounds really good.

Sounds like fun. Have you tried using the signs drive and rolling back the guitar volume to clean it up a bit? Far be it from me to talk someone out of buying a pedal :grin: but that is what I have been doing with my Bluebonnet lately and it sounds really good.

Actually I did....it didn't work really well.

The alternative might be to setup the amp on that setting clean...just breaking up and roll back the guitar volume a hair to clean it up.

Actually I did....it didn't work really well.

The alternative might be to setup the amp on that setting clean...just breaking up and roll back the guitar volume a hair to clean it up.

Yeah some pedals don't clean up well. If you can get dirt from your amp that usually works well.

Yeah some pedals don't clean up well. If you can get dirt from your amp that usually works well.

I've found that setting the pedal with the guitar volume on 7, and then rolling up for heavier tones seems to work better. It's a mental thing, even if the end result is the same.

Back