Help! Setting up a Floyd Rose equipped guitar.

vintage clubber

You gunky!
I have a Washburn Floyd equipped Dimebag model on my bench right now for a re-string/set up. I have the say the re-stringing aspect was pretty simple. The setting up is a huge pain in the ass! :mad: Are there any good tutorials or voodoo mojo for how to set these things up so they will stay in tune?? It only reinforces my never wanting a Floyd equipped guitar.

There are some great tutorials on YouTube but one trick I use that has made life esier is to block the trem with a stacked up bunch of picks so it's dive only. Tighten the springs so the picks stay in place and the trem is parallel to the body. Tune the guitar with the block in place then slowly loosen the springs until the stack of picks fall out. Tune the guitar again and the trem should be floating parallel to the body and stay in tune.

If you're talking about intonation, the best way is to get the float right, then block it both ways so it won't dive or pull back...

... from there, unlock the nuts and one string at a time, loosen the string, move the string out of the way, unlock the saddle, and nudge. Lock down the saddle... tune it up and re-check the intonation. There was a variation on the floyd where the intonation locks were behind the saddles, but that's not as common.

Once all the intonation is set, remove the shims and see if the floyd is still floating right.

All of these things are why I've always liked non-floating Floyds better than full floating.

There are some great tutorials on YouTube but one trick I use that has made life esier is to block the trem with a stacked up bunch of picks so it's dive only. Tighten the springs so the picks stay in place and the trem is parallel to the body. Tune the guitar with the block in place then slowly loosen the springs until the stack of picks fall out. Tune the guitar again and the trem should be floating parallel to the body and stay in tune.

So the stack of picks gets blocked between the front side of the trem block and the body, correct? At what point in this process do you lock the strings down at the nut? :confused:

If you're talking about intonation, the best way is to get the float right, then block it both ways so it won't dive or pull back...

... from there, unlock the nuts and one string at a time, loosen the string, move the string out of the way, unlock the saddle, and nudge. Lock down the saddle... tune it up and re-check the intonation. There was a variation on the floyd where the intonation locks were behind the saddles, but that's not as common.

Once all the intonation is set, remove the shims and see if the floyd is still floating right.

All of these things are why I've always liked non-floating Floyds better than full floating.

:thu:

Back