Session Report: Kicking Up Cinders EP

Kerouac

weird musical dildo
So on Saturday Kaitlin and I tracked the songs for our upcoming EP. We rented out a small, 100+ year old church; my buddy Luigi Lavalle helped run the session, as well as bring some of his gear. We had some technical issues while setting up, so we didn't get started until almost 90 min. after we arrived. In the end, we went with a pretty simple set-up; two overhead SDCs set up in stereo, a ribbon mic, and an SM57 for additional vocal reinforcement. Overdubs were kept to a minimum... 98% of what you will end up hearing was captured live.

For those not familiar with ribbon mics, they're a classic mic technology that was EVERYWHERE through the early 40's until the the late 60's. They feature a polar pattern called Figure 8, because the front and the back of the mic each have a lobe that picks up sound, while the sides reject incoming signal. Kaitlin stood close to the brighter side and I stayed further back on the darker side, which helped balance out our levels and make our parts a bit more distinct.

There were some difficulties on one particular song, partly as a result of me fucking up and partly as a result of the tons of motorcycles that kept going by (it was a nice, but warm day) and ruined otherwise perfect takes. We ended up having to take a break for lunch and coming back to finish it, because things just weren't coming together. After a break and some clear heads, we were nailing a take... when the power went out. :facepalm: It came back on a few minutes later, but it fucked with us enough that we went back down the "bad takes rabbit hole" until we (by which I largely mean ME) got it together.

The rest of the session went smoothly, and I'll be spending the next week or two mixing them. If the budget allows I'll be sending out for mixing and mastering rather than doing it myself.

Sounds like quite a day. Looking forward to hearing the result.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

It is crazy how bad takes stack up like that...

...definitely looking forward to hearing it K...

It is crazy how bad takes stack up like that...

...definitely looking forward to hearing it K...

Ugh, It really is. :facepalm:

At one point Kaitlin turned to me and said, "I hope you don't get this mad at me when I mess up a part." My response was, "Only if we have to do it eighteen fucking times." :gah:

Nice to hear you finally went to the dark side........

But seriously - sounds like a great day of recording! You need to go listen to the Glen Phillips album Coyote Sessions....it was recorded live with 5 musicians and one mic.

Back