Seriously thinking of swapping the Kahler trem out...

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
…in my old Carvin, for a new 2300 series Kahler that will lock down and give me a hardtail bridge.

I emailed Kahler and they said it's a direct swap. Screw holes will line up and no additional routing needed.

Bad thing is the new ones go for like $329. That's waaay more than a good Floyd Rose.

What say you guys? Would you swap out a piece of hardware on a 31+ year old, pretty much a 'classic' guitar?

If it means it is more useful to you and isn't a permanent change I say go for it.
Yeah, I've already swapped out the original pickups to Bryan Gushner Darkbuckers, and had the brass nut and Kahler locking nut removed.

I still have all the old parts though, and it wouldn't be much to put it back to the original parts/specs. Swapping the bridge out wouldn't really be any different, since I could always put the old one back in.

$329 is alot though...

Bad thing is the new ones go for like $329. That's waaay more than a good Floyd Rose.
What say you guys? Would you swap out a piece of hardware on a 31+ year old, pretty much a 'classic' guitar?
A Floyd Rose would require some routing, wouldn't it? How much would that cost?
Is there anything wrong with the Kahler that is currently in the guitar or do you just want an upgrade?
If you'll take out the current Kahler, would it be useful to you? (selling, installing in another guitar)

A Floyd Rose would require some routing, wouldn't it? How much would that cost?
Is there anything wrong with the Kahler that is currently in the guitar or do you just want an upgrade?
If you'll take out the current Kahler, would it be useful to you? (selling, installing in another guitar)
Nothing wrong with the current Kahler, but I really just don't use the tremolo at all, and it's a floating bridge. The new model has a allen screw on the back plate of the bridge that screwed in and turns the bridge into a hardtail, which would be more useful for me, in addition to helping with tuning stability, most likely. The guitar will go slightly out of tune from time to time just bending strings, usually the g-string, a common problem on Kahler tremolos. I've heard the newer ones while locked down help with this idn_smilie

I would never chop up this guitar to install a Floyd :embarrassed:

The new Kahler with the lock down feature is one of the elements of the system which makes it so good.
The 'vintage Kahler' could probably be sold to make up much of the cost of the new one esp. if it's in near pristine shape.

Doooo eeeeeet!

You won't hurt the guitar, it will be more useful to you, and you'll enjoy it more.

It's a no brainer.

Also, there's no such thing as a "good Floyd", so the price comparison is irrelevant. :)

Go for it.

329 for something you will be able to enjoy for another 31 years is worth it.

Oh, and agreed that "good Floyd Rose" are words that don't make sense together unless you add "for nothing" after "good".

Ok, I'm going to order one.

They have different roller & cam combinations, steel/steel, brass/brass, brass/aluminum, brass/steel, etc.

Which one should I get, since the guitar is all maple and a bit bright anyways? The brass/brass? Or is that something only Eric Johnson would hear the difference?

Back