Semi-hollows & unpotted pickups...

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
A combo to avoid?

They did it back in ye olde days, so why not?

What say you guys?

I ordered one of these, and will probably get around to replacing the pickups on it (not to mention getting amber knobs for it).

prs-se-zach-myers-vs-o1.jpg

anyways I was looking at the SD 'Vintage' pickups, it says they are non-potted. Probably feedback on rock/classic metal?

I was also thinking of the Railhammer Vintages. I'd love to be able to wire it where I had 2 volume knobs, a tone knob, and a bass contour knob or reverse tone knob to cut the bass. I'd have no idea on how to do that though :(

I agree with the amber knobs, and I hope the pups turn out to be better than you think, 'cuz that PRS is purdy!

The feedback that comes from microphonic unpotted pickups is very different than the pleasant feedback that you can get from semi hollows and other guitars. It's an extremely high pitch squeal as opposed to a warm musical tone. I don't think you will have a problem if the pick ups are high-quality.

However, I had some sqeeling microphonic pickups in a few of my guitars earlier this year, and I potted them myself. With a candy thermometer, five dollars worth of paraffin wax, and an old stovepot you don't care about cooking with anymore, you could probably pot them yourself. It is not difficult and it makes a huge difference.

To clarify and answer your question more directly, semi hollows are more prone to musical feedback than solid bodies whether the pickups are potted or not. The only thing is that an unpotted pick up might squeal unmusically.

The only unpotted SDs I know of in the standard line are the Seth Lovers. IMO, if you are stuck on SD, get a Pearly Gates set for potted pickups. Otherwise, get a Dimarzio 36th PAF set.

Last edited:
However, I had some sqeeling microphonic pickups in a few of my guitars earlier this year, and I potted them myself. With a candy thermometer, five dollars worth of paraffin wax, and an old stovepot you don't care about cooking with anymore, you could probably pot them yourself. It is not difficult and it makes a huge difference.

You can even save your pots by putting a wide, shallow tin can (like a big tuna can) in your pot with some water, double boiler style.

You can even save your pots by putting a wide, shallow tin can (like a big tuna can) in your pot with some water, double boiler style.
Yes, a double boiler style setup is important. Here's a photo from when I was potting a Ric toaster top pickup.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414332677.455296.jpg

That's a good idea about the tin can, though. Would have saved me a sauce pot.

I was just "potting" a piezo element from a doorbell, so I poured melted wax over it. I didn't get into the thermometer and such.

My antiquity do gear is unpotted. Wouldn't have it any other way. Not everyone likes that raw, primitive effect, though.

A combo to avoid?

They did it back in ye olde days, so why not?

anyways I was looking at the SD 'Vintage' pickups, it says they are non-potted. Probably feedback on rock/classic metal?

Just being NOT potted doesn't mean the PU will feedback. Pickups go microphonic when parts get loose and vibrate against one another. Some unpotted pickups can go decades with no issues or never develop any. What potting does is lock everything in place so parts don't eventually vibrate loose or, in the case of repairs, it helps keep already loose parts from moving.

Since most of my guitars were bought used, and are 35-65 years old. I usually only pot when they need it. And then I have a friend vacuum pot it to make sure the wax penetrates. But even, it's maybe a 2 in 3 chance guarantee that it will fix a microphonic PU, sometimes you just can't reach the problematic part.

that is a nice looking guitar I agree 100% with swapping out those knobs for amber ones.

For the pickups, I think Wyatt covered it better than I could, but give the stock ones a chance before you jump in and replace them. But if you do replace them, nab some TV Jones Powertrons. :grin:

As long as we're talking about that specific model/color guitar…

black pickup rings/switch tip, or stay with the white?

Even if I keep the stock pickups, I'd like to get some nickel or silver-colored covers :embarrassed:

As long as we're talking about that specific model/color guitar…

black pickup rings/switch tip, or stay with the white?

Even if I keep the stock pickups, I'd like to get some nickel or silver-colored covers :embarrassed:

I prefer the cream with the zebra/reverse-zebra pickups.

I think black would look cheap and "unfinished" with that burst.

I own this model/finish PRS SE Zach Myers, though not nearly as beautiful as the one in the OP. Did you end up replacing the knobs? I'm thinking of replacing the clear knobs but with the PRS Lampshade amber knobs. When I bought the guitar, I was dead set on replacing the stock pickups with the PRS \m/ pickups, but stock they're alright. I think they can do the classic rock and blues well enough and can also handle heavier styles, but definitely aren't for the heaviest and blackest of metal. I think the cream pickup rings and the zebra/ reverse zebra look on this particular burst finish lend more of an Appetite For Destruction vibe. Yes, I saw this picture (OP) on Google Image Search and created an account just to chime in. Anywho, that's my .02

Back