Sell or Keep: Fishman soundhole pickup

Chicken Man

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I took the Fishman pickup off what is now my beater guitar (tho I gigged with it for a few years), since it's just for picking around the house. My main guitar is an A/E, so I don't need the pickup for it. However, another acoustic is in my medium-term future--my "forever guitar", an end-all acoustic instead of the as-needed and what-I-can-afford-at-the-moment guitars I've bought over the last 20 years of playing. My next guitar might be A/E, or it might be acoustic (I don't want that to be a factor in my purchase), so that brings me to my question:

Do I keep the fishman for another 5 years, in case I want it then, or do I sell it now?

I don't NEED the money, but I've got enough obsolete gear sitting around that I can't get rid of that I'd rather sell it now if I won't be able to move it in the event I don't need it for my next guitar.

If you are getting a great acoustic, you are not going to want the Fishman as the pickup. Sell it.

Well, I would put the Fishman in whatever I get (if it isn't A/E) if I had it right now. The p/up sounds great and is incredibly reliable in the sometimes-sketchy-sounding venues I'm playing. My question is more about how obsolete it'll be in five years, in case I don't need it.

Keep it if you liked the sound. Sadly while technology may improve, the sound of a great pickup is hard to come by once gone.

Back