Seems BB might want to think about hanging it up

335clone

Living the dream
:(
http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/music/20140407/US-BB-King-Performance/

Concertgoers said King's rambling Friday night set at the Peabody Opera House featured just a handful of complete songs amid meandering musical snippets, long-winded soliloquies, an 8-piece backup band that missed its cues and a 15-minute sing-along of "You Are My Sunshine."

Sad. I know a lot of people want to see him before he passes, but it might be more dignified if he just stopped touring.

I would imagine it's really hard for someone who has been known for doing ONE thing really well in life to give it up. Maybe the world will give him a pass.

I would imagine it's really hard for someone who has been known for doing ONE thing really well in life to give it up. Maybe the world will give him a pass.

I'd agree if he were playing dive bars for beer money, but he's charging $150. For that, he needs to be able to put on a coherent performance. And he deserves to be remembered in his prime and not for losing his abilities in public.

That doesn't sound too terribly different from when I saw him 10 years ago. I figured then that it was just an off night. Sad to see such a legend losing it.

I'm not sure what people expect. We may kid ourselves with specious sayings like "Age is just a number," and "You're only as old as you feel," but 88 is pretty old. Most people don't even live that long, much less keep working at that age.

Anyhow, I'm finding it kind of difficult to muster much sympathy for marketing executives and retired IRS agents who feel they've been ripped off.

I saw him two years ago and it was the same thing. There were thirty people in his entourage and band. It took them twenty minutes to get him on stage and another twenty to get him off. He played bits of a couple songs and then had the audience singalong. It was sad. I got the feeling everyone in the band was just propping him up to keep their gravy train rolling.

I think it may be hard from a personal point of view to give up something you have done most of your life, knowing you will never be able to do it anymore. Guess that people like BB won't live long after they give up completely. I agree though that he should retire from touring and maybe do a few small gigs and a few records

Last edited:
Yeah, I read the story as well. Sad. :(

A few months ago, he popped up on the schedule for an area theater. My wife asked me Iif I wanted to see him. I said "I would, if it was 15 - 20 years ago". :(

I saw him 15 years ago or so. I'm glad I did. I think Mr. King has earned some time to relax.

He was like that a year ago, but not nearly as bad as what seems to be happening now. He talked here and there but spent most of the time singing and occasionally playing.

He must really love touring and might even think that if he stops, he'll die. That may not be far from the truth.

Buddy Guy is 77 and he was still awesome at the Hendrix show, but he also didn't need to play the entire night.

Honestly, that's what a lot of the aging acts should do... team up so that each one of them only has to put on 30 minutes a night, but the crowd gets a full bang-for-the-buck show.

The Hendrix Experience was 3 1/2 hours with a 15 minute intermission in the middle and seamless artist transitions throughout the show. They had a group of backing musicians and then the combination of lead guys would change from song to song, then the screen would start showing the names of the next acts, and they were just off stage ready to walk on and everything was already wired and ready to go.

Last edited:
Buddy Guy is 77 and he was still awesome at the Hendrix show, but he also didn't need to play the entire night.

Saw Buddy play for a few hours 2 years ago and he had the energy and enthusiasm of someone half his age. I think he feeds off the energy the audience give him.

I saw BB about 10 years ago and he put on a good show, played a bunch and talked some but mostly in context of leading up to a song. I went to see him because it was his 80th birthday tour (but he wasn't yet 80) and I thought he wouldn't play much longer...

Wrong

I suspect that you are right Tig, if he stops he dies :(

If you see him now, one must understand that they are not going to get the same BB of years past. I commend him to keep doing what he is doing as it shows his spirit.

I was lucky enough to see him in the early 90's and it was a great show. I don't expect that to be replicated 20+ years later.

It's a tough thing to determine when an artist should call it quits. Pete Seeger was on Colbert last year; his banjo playing was still good, but his voice was shot. Pete made it work partially because he had always encouraged audience participation and the audience helped carry the songs. I also doubt Pete was getting $150 per person for his shows.

If the artist wants to perform, and people know what to expect, I guess everyone is happy.

Back