Question: See inside for details

Elias Graves

Common misfit
I'm making a guitar, as some of you may know. It's time to get a fretboard since my home harvested Osage Orange hasn't borne fruit :facepalm: yet.
Maple is the choice, I believe, so I've been shopping on line.
At Woodcraft, I can get a 3/8"x3"x24" piece of hard maple for $9. I'll have to set the radius and cut the nut slot and fret slots myself. No biggie, but it's a lot of labor doing it with the miter box. Advantage is that I can go to the store and hand pick my board. My Honduran rosewood board on the white guitar was picked from several dozen that I went through. I'm very pleased with it, as most of the boards in the rack I would not want on my guitar.

From Bell Forest Products, I can get a plain maple blank for $7 or a quartersawn blank for $9. Sounds like a good deal to me. I can get a free upgrade to quartersawn.

In finished boards, the price goes way up. I priced one out at LMII to my specs and it came to about $40. Cut to 10" radius and slotted. Kinda high but a big labor savings. The accuracy will be good, too. Sanding a radius with a block or cutting slots without a jig are activities fraught with peril. Maybe worth it.

Then I found Stewart MacDonald's fretboards. A hard maple board slotted and cut to radius for $14! Yes! We have a winner.
But there's a catch. While the radius has been cut, it's not Fender radius. WTF? Who offers tele fretboards with a 12" radius as the only option? I bet no more than 5% of all teles ever made came with a 12" radius. 7 1/2" or 9" are Fender's numbers. Odd.

Anyway, the question.
Can I reshape the 12" radius to 10" without thinning it too much? All the material removed will come from the outside edges of the board. I assume since these are "finished" blanks, the thickness has already been cut at the factory. I fear there won't even be space to add side dots on the edge.

I vote going the Woodcraft route cuz, it's you, and not me. :grin: Seriously, if you are "making" the guitar, pick out the fret board in person.

You've owned several guitars with a 12-inch radius. How did you like them? I don't see any issue with that just because you project is Fenderesque.

I've only done flat fretboards myself (or ordered radiused and slotted ones), so I can only speak to cutting fret slots. If it's not something you enjoy doing, I'd pay to not do it. And radiusing without CNC sounds like fussy, unsatisfying work.

I've only done flat fretboards myself (or ordered radiused and slotted ones), so I can only speak to cutting fret slots. If it's not something you enjoy doing, I'd pay to not do it. And radiusing without CNC sounds like fussy, unsatisfying work.
You don't know him very well...

Stew-Mac sells radius sanding blocks that are very easy to use and very accurate. The amount of wood you need to remove to radius a board is actually very slight, and the difference between a 10" and 12" radius probably isn't discernible to the naked eye. You could probably tell a 12" from a 7 1/2".
I have a couple guitars with a 13.5" radius that I like a lot. Stew-Mac also sells radius gauge sets that come in handy for checking radius and setting the bridge string arc.

Stew-Mac sells radius sanding blocks that are very easy to use and very accurate. The amount of wood you need to remove to radius a board is actually very slight, and the difference between a 10" and 12" radius probably isn't discernible to the naked eye. You could probably tell a 12" from a 7 1/2".
I have a couple guitars with a 13.5" radius that I like a lot. Stew-Mac also sells radius gauge sets that come in handy for checking radius and setting the bridge string arc.

I have a 10" block and that's the radius I prefer. Just trying to decide if changing the radius will make the edges too thin.

Back