Secrets of the 5E3

angry tele

L'effet c'est moi
ok maybe not secrets but this shit isnt in the owners manual

I labeled my tweed deluxe with all the pertinence and such

*normal/bright channels=this is the instrument (bright) and mic (normal) channels, there is a high1 and low2 gain channel for each
*tone=this works like a tone pot should when plugged into the instrument channel. When plugged into the mic channel it acts not like a tone pot but another gain stage.
*unused channels. the unused volume channel maxes out the midrange when on 6 (halfway), it scoops the mids when on 12 (cranked)

i have before. (actually last night i had it jumpered you can see the patch cord i used in the pic) I forget what it does though...back to school I guess. I think it increases gain but im not sure. :shrug:

Allows you to blend the normal channel with the bright channel. Hence fine tuning the tone settings on enhancing the sound.

I have used just the Normal channel and turned up the bright with nothing plugged in. The channel bleeding also adds a nice blend as well.

*normal/bright channels=this is the instrument (bright) and mic (normal) channels, there is a high1 and low2 gain channel for each

It's misleading to say "hi gain" and low gain", what happens is the #2 inputs attenuates (decreases) the signal by 6db. This was because of the super-hot elements that used to be used in those old bullet-style microphones, they needed to be padded.

*tone=this works like a tone pot should when plugged into the instrument channel. When plugged into the mic channel it acts not like a tone pot but another gain stage.

Nope. Should work the other way around. Tone control on the Mic/Normal channel, treble gain boost on the Inst/Bright channel.

On both channels, it's a treble cut control as you turn counter-clockwise from around midway (6ish) on down to 0. This is thanks to that 5nF (.005uF) tone cap.

But that 500pF cap that connects Tone and the Inst/Bright Vol. is a bright cap, that's what makes the Bright channel the "bright" channel. And the more you turn the Tone from 6 to 12, the more it's placed into the circuit. On the Bright/Inst channel, a ton of extra voltage gets pumped through that bright cap resulting in increased gain as well as treble. Because the bright cap runs to the Bright/Inst volume, you don't get the same effect on the Normal/Mic channel, you get a little more treble and a little more gain only because of bleed-over between the channels.

techically its already jumpered , thats why its so intercative

No, it's not. The volume interaction is do to parasitic bleeding. You're still only using one half of V1. When you jumper, you use both halves of V1 in parallel.

But I don't jumper a 5E3 anyway.

Last edited:
Back