Season's first batch of chili

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
Finally made chili yesterday, it was like comin' home.

I was experimenting - for the first time I used *real* dried peppers instead of store-bought chili powder. I soaked 'em, toasted 'em and then made a puree out of them adding a little broth so it could flow a little.

The result was milder than I expected, so I will add more fire next time. Also I was guessing on the quantity so next time I will make more of the puree. The flavor was definitely an improvement over chili powder though, and the chili had a smoother texture.

Keep it away from me!
I ate 2 bowls of home made chili yesterday and nearly caused a hazmat incident later. I took 2 Gas-X's and 1 Beano before eating, followed by 2 more Gas-X a few hours later. All was well. Then I ate the second bowl with 2 more Gas-x.
panic0
A few hours later, I was a 1 man Blazing Saddles campfire scene. 2 more Gas-X and a second Beano did little to extinguish the noxious fumes. :facepalm:
Id-Say-Youve-Had-Enough.jpg

LOL.

Yeah, chili and beer can have consequences.

My biggest concern is acid; I always do a pepcid before indulging in chili. And I don't eat it in the evening too soon before bedtime either, that would be yucky.

love chili. Wifey made her 'green' chili last week. Pork based with a green sauce and white beans. Yum.

And my experience with gas-x is that it relieves you by helping you fart it out. :eek:

Reactions: Tig
Some think beans in chili ruins it or that it is a Yankee thing. I like beans in chili, except for the premium batches at chili cook-offs. Too bad beans don't like me back.
upload_2013-11-26_8-20-9.jpeg

Tiger - Chili season starts late in your part of the country. You must live in the southern U.S. It's been both scotch and chili season here in Chicago for several weeks now. :)

Chili on top of rice. That's how it works. Anything else isn't civilised frankly :embarrassed: This issue nearly caused a war on HC as I recall.

Sorry, but cornbread is the only correct answer.

Putting it over rice sounds like a campbells soup commercial

As for beans, I'm all for them in most cases. We usually use 4-5 kinds in a batch. The exception is Texas style chili for chilidogs. Beans just don't work.

Back