Scottish independence referendum almost upon us.

Just watched live from Downing Street and it sounds like they are already backtracking on their devolution promises... Like nobody expected that.

I can't believe anyone is stupid enough to believe anything that comes out of the mouths of those self-serving toffs.

Anyway, I respect the outcome, but I am now more than ever worried about the future of me and my family...

Just purely as a matter of political science, isn't a simple majority a bit of a low bar for that dramatic a change?

I would have expected a requirement for a 2/3 supermajority or something.

Not trying to stir the pot -- it's mostly an academic question.

Well, now Def Leppard won't have to update their wardrobe after all.
def_leppard_union_jack_9522.jpg

It's going to be interesting. If Westminster backtracks on the promises they made then the 3 UK parties may as well close up shop in Scotland. The SNP will be back with a new referendum within 5 years (and may well hold the balance of power in the next UK parliament when they have 40 odd MP's).

If Westminster goes through with greater devolution, and adds English devolution, then English domestic politics will lurch to the right at the same time as Scotland becomes more social democratic. The tension created by that could prove unsustainable.

Either way, it isn't over :wink:

Yeah I'm surprised at the negative response too. I hope things work out well for all you folks over there...

On the way home I'm buying a bottle of single-malt so I can properly drink to the continued health of Scotland & the UK. :thu:

Very interesting process to watch. I hope it results in some productive discussion about the reasons for the close vote, and work to improve on the issues therein.

Just watched live from Downing Street and it sounds like they are already backtracking on their devolution promises... Like nobody expected that.

I can't believe anyone is stupid enough to believe anything that comes out of the mouths of those self-serving toffs.

Anyway, I respect the outcome, but I am now more than ever worried about the future of me and my family...
I hope the best for all of you over there. I am a mix of English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish (well, Scotch-Irish), and a good heavy dose of Norwegian. So I have some sentimental ties to the area, though I have never been. Hoping that something positive can come from these political processes.

Can we safely say that the older people get, the more they are resistant to change?

10686732_727673610620640_2015541507352009287_n.jpg

Anyway, looks like we're already getting shafted, not even 24 hours after the results. Milliband (Labour) refuses to sign the Tory devolution for Scotland plan and there is increasing revolt within the Tory party. I am guessing we will end up with... feck all.
Oh well, I can always move back to Holland :embarrassed:

Can we safely say that the older people get, the more they are resistant to change?

10686732_727673610620640_2015541507352009287_n.jpg

Anyway, looks like we're already getting shafted, not even 24 hours after the results. Milliband (Labour) refuses to sign the Tory devolution for Scotland plan and there is increasing revolt within the Tory party. I am guessing we will end up with... feck all.
Oh well, I can always move back to Holland :embarrassed:

Or Oklahoma. We are really good at telling gubment types to fuck right the hell off.

Well the shits already hitting the fan on the streets.

I hope Mr Salmond realises what he's started here.

I hope cooler heads will prevail, as we say here in the colonies.

I did get some nice scotch as promised... Here's to unity. *drinks*

Is it really bad there? I get that losing an election can create some discontent, but the voting seemed civilized from our media perspective (which is questionable in the truth department). I figure the YES people would embrace the loss as a chance to petition London for even more autonomy (along the idea of 40% of us just voted to toss you, so, yeah, treat us right), with a plan to do have another vote again in the future.

I think it does, yes. Perhaps I should have picked different words. You would think I would know better, as I go to Glasgow a couple of times a year.

Back