Scottish independence referendum almost upon us.

This could be said for tens of millions across the whole country.

Yes, it could. It should really be the home counties that are going (being forced to go!) independent and leaving London and the rest of the UK get on with it. But since there is no historical basis for that....

No everyone in Oregon gets the President and Congress they want, not everyone in Bavaria get the government they want, not everyone in Alice Springs get the government they want but you don't see them scrambling to secede because they quite rightly realise the strength in being part of a larger political and economic body.

No everyone in Oregon gets the President and Congress they want, not everyone in Bavaria get the government they want, not everyone in Alice Springs get the government they want but you don't see them scrambling to secede because they quite rightly realise the strength in being part of a larger political and economic body.

is that your opinion? Lots of people disagree with you. Or ask Slovakians or Icelandics what they prefer

ps Oregon is a state, not a country.

is that your opinion? Lots of people disagree with you. Or ask Slovakians or Icelandics what they prefer

ps Oregon is a state, not a country.

A state which would be part of the UNITED States last time I had a look...clearly because the benefit of being part of a bigger political and economic institution (like the EU some might argue!!!!!!!!!) far outweighs being alone.

Oregon was never a nation and has no sense of national identity.

Texas is probably the closest and there is a secessionist movement there.

The thing to remember is the the UK is almost unique today in that is a unification of several nation states. The other examples from history where clearly defined nation states formed a larger single state would include the USSR and Yugoslavia. Things went well for them :embarrassed:

Last edited:
Anyway.....

I'm not against the British state myself. It works well in many ways. It's Westminster and their paymasters in The City and Mayfair that are the problem. Scotland has the luxury of being able to disengage from them and I think we should take it. But proper reform of the British political system to return power to the people and take it out of the hands of the 1% would be better. I just can't see that happening and fear that even if it did, the rise of UKIP shows the danger of Essex White Van Man actually becoming politically empowered.

Of course, I live in Engerland so I'm fucked either way :shrug:

I for one am missing the redhead content this thread formerly had. :wink:

Cute-redhead.jpg

That is all.

OK, one more...
0c512a0707b90f75eb21b4974b848dae.jpg

By definition, Oregon gets the Congressional representation they want - 2 Senators and a number of representatives apportioned by population.

People fuss about the low approval ratings for Congress. Remember that, on average, over 98% of Congress is made up of people for whom a particular citizen cannot vote. Add in districting and the fact that few candidates win 100% of the vote and one could argue that any Congressional approval above 1% is mathematically doing pretty well.

Also, I would say this thread is becoming quite political at this point. I don't think it's appropriate to use a referendum on Scottish independence as a pretense to take shots at the US' system of government. It was probably inevitable, though, being the internet and all.

I love red heads...One of the biggest loves of my life was a red head...Crazy red but fun...

Here's a Canadian red head...She's Canadian so I'm sure she has some Scotch..........

Oregon was never a nation and has no sense of national identity.

Texas is probably the closest and there is a secessionist movement there.

The thing to remember is the the UK is almost unique today in that is a unification of several nation states. The other examples from history where clearly defined nation states formed a larger single state would include the USSR and Yugoslavia. Things went well for them :embarrassed:

Actually given that the USSR was created via invasions, a more accurate example would be unification via economic and political ends. The failed state of Germany springs to mind :thu:

BTW Wok I resent you posting that video, a bit of discussion and banter is OK but insinuating that my opinion is based on being one of the knuckle dragging Old Firm bigots, which are a disgrace on both sides of this referendum, is crossing a personal line imo.

I love red heads...One of the biggest loves of my life was a red head...Crazy red but fun...

Here's a Canadian red head...She's Canadian so I'm sure she has some Scotch..........

I'm guessing that most won't even listen to this or enjoy her beauty....Oh well...

Actually given that the USSR was created via invasions, a more accurate example would be unification via economic and political ends. The failed state of Germany springs to mind :thu:

BTW Wok I resent you posting that video, a bit of discussion and banter is OK but insinuating that my opinion is based on being one of the knuckle dragging Old Firm bigots, which are a disgrace on both sides of this referendum, is crossing a personal line imo.

Did you miss the :tongue: ? I was joking

amy_pond.jpg

Last edited:
I found the clip funny, and the 'insinuation' didn't for an instant cross my mind. :shrug:

I heard yesterday it was 47% no, 46% yes with 7% undecided. I can't find the link, but it was on the BBC webpage.

Back