Scion is no more...long live toyota

Tiltsta

Show me your frittatas
Staff member
Looks like the Toyota mothership has finally killed off the Scion brand. I remember when Toyota started the Scion thing with an eye at capturing the youth market. The first generation cars were pretty neat designs, but the brand just seemed to wither over the years. Maybe the FR-S/BR-Z thing helped keep it going a little while, but it seems to be too little too late. They seemed to have lost their way somewhere.

http://jalopnik.com/scion-is-dead-all-cars-to-become-toyotas-instead-1756812671

Meh.

All of these sub-brands were lame to begin with.

It doesn't matter if you stick a Scion or Lexus badge on a Toyota. It's still a Toyota. An Acura is still just a Honda, Infiniti still a Datsun.

Reactions: Tig
Meh.

All of these sub-brands were lame to begin with.

It doesn't matter if you stick a Scion or Lexus badge on a Toyota. It's still a Toyota. An Acura is still just a Honda, Infiniti still a Datsun.

I agree. Just make a Toyota that is more appealing to a younger demographic. Toyota isn't Buick.

The hilarious part is when you look at what they were trying to do with the brand w/r/t demographics and how it actually wound up working. Surprised it took this long

My daughter had a Scion.......it was a great little car. (It was the sportier looking one).
I think she has over 200K miles on it, without any "real" problems.

But yeah, it is a Toyota underneath it all.

Her little Scion was not my cup of tea, but I do own a Toyota Tundra 4x4, and THAT is a great truck.

They should have killed it years ago. Scion was supposed to capture the modded Honda Civic market. Honda knew there was no money there and redesigned the Civic to have broader appeal in 1998 or 1999. Why Toyota spending fifteen years chasing that market was quixotic at best.

The hilarious part is when you look at what they were trying to do with the brand w/r/t demographics and how it actually wound up working. Surprised it took this long

One of the articles I glanced at about the end of the brand today mentioned that despite the Scion marketing attempts to reach millennials (some of which you can read about on jalopnik...they are a train wreck), the average age of their customer last year was something really up there, like 59. It seems old people about to retire want something cheap and reliable.

I still want an Xb. I love a good kleenex box on wheels.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

And customizable. People in their 50s have been driving long enough to know exactly what they want.

I can see that. I've heard my mom mention all the crap on her car that she doesn't want but came with it.

I have a 12 Scion AND an 03 Saturn. Both are damn good vehicles. The Saturn Vue has made two trips across our great country.

Back