Scenario: let's say someone gave you $3K.

3 large of some one else's cash?

f8d148b7fea4467625a8d9fdf44d6b82.jpg

One of theses beauties. A Gary Moore signature LP Standard. Id also still have some money left over for hookers and blow.

gary_moore_les_paul_1990_006.jpg

I'm ethically opposed to rich people who can barely play cowboy chords in tune, doing it on $3000 guitars.

Save your money, buy a Squire, shut the fuck up, and get to work.

If I went acoustic guitar, I'd get this:

rainsong1.jpg

Electric… can I spend $200 of my own money? For $3200 I'd get this:

dq0x1s.jpg

I'd shop long and hard for the best sounding acoustic I could find that maxes out at $3K. I always wanted to play a Doolin to see about getting one...now I'd have to hope to find a used one that I loved, which is not a likely proposition. The acoustic that I played and thought sounded the best close to 15 years ago now was a Larrivee DV (dread cutaway) with a Spruce top and maple back/sides. It was too rich for my blood at the time and now they no longer make them. I've also always lusted after a Lowden, so I hunt down some of those to try as well.

I'd love to get a nice Weber f-style mando despite any real facility on the instrument. One of the Taylor AB basses would be cool as well...or, better, yet one of Steve Klein's acoustics or basses, although the AB was really his design. I also lust the Viellette Gryphon (12-string cut)...they sound amazing from the clips I've seen, but I've yet to get my hands on one. Going to the Viellette site has my mind jumping all over the place.

So many options, but a high-end acoustic instrument would be the way I'd go. Can you get a decent upright piano for $3K? That's what I really should get.

Back