Scenario: let's say someone gave you $3K.

Flamencology

You don't deserve koa.
1) You can spend it on one single instrument, no lists: it can cost anything from $1.5K to $3K, but that's that. Once you've purchased something, the money is gone.

2) You can't sell or trade it. You're stuck with it for life, unless you destroy it.

3) No amps, no pedals. Has to be an instrument, but it can be any instrument of any kind.

4) If you're Gary Blanchard and refuse to spend the money on an instrument, then the cash automatically goes to ISIS and the authorities will show up at your place of work to arrest you.

OK, I changed my mind.

carr-sportsman-amp-black-31.jpg

Last edited:
I would get a nice slot head 12-fret acoustic. I'd like a Collings but I don't think I could find even a used one for that money, so maybe a lightly used Martin.

For that price range, my first choices are out so...
Taylor 522e 12-Fret Grand Concert Acoustic/Electric Guitar Mahogany
23162_522e_12_Fret_1105274068_a.jpg

23162_522e_12_Fret_1105274068_1.jpg

Can this be a custom-built piece, or does it have to be something that exists on the market?

Too hard to say. I have never played an instrument in the $2k + range, so I would have to play a few to decide which one fits me the best.
I would say it would probably be a Deimel Firestar, Kauer, Rhoney Oceana or Zodiac, Gamble, Gibson ES339 or a McFeely. Probably a few more I am not thinking of now.

but if the rules are amended to specify musical instrument, it would be Martin HD28 V or HD 28 V Vintage, selected after playing some and finding the one I want. Used, they seem to be available for under the stated limit.

Probably something like a Yairi DY70CE, or maybe even a Masterworks DYM70.

Back