Saw Eric Johnson this weekend

BlockInlay

Octavate.band
A friend had an extra ticket to see Eric Johnson do a set on acoustic guitar and piano. The venue is a well known local haunt called the Bull Run. The food was amazing too. (The worst seat in the house is maybe 25 feet from the stage, the floor is level though so I saw more backs and heads than Eric.)

I'm not familiar with his catalogue aside from the one big hit, but it was a really nice show to see. His guitar work was diverse and fluid, he played a variety of steel strings and busted out a nylon string once or twice. Some real sweet finger picking, flat picking, and strumming. Some of it seemed a tad rushed, but that may have been a product of the audience being dead silent, barely a head nod.

His piano playing was impressive, and his singing voice is pretty decent. Talented dude. He bantered quite a bit with the audience too. A real pleasant show.

A few of the songs I can remember:
Song for George
My Champion
Tribute to (someone)
Once Upon a Time in Texas (he fucking ripped it up)

I'll definitely be checking out his latest album. I'll post some (crappy) pics in a sec.

IMG_9534.JPG
IMG_9537.JPG

I have seen him several times with a full band and liked it. Seeing an acoustic show would be cool. His voice fits that medium better.

I saw him at the 2015 Experience Hendrix tour. I was very impressed with his playing. Technically proficient also.

I should have gone to see him a few weeks back at a small venue, but I'm a bit burned out on live shows and a little breather is nice right now. Glad you liked it.

I've seen him here a number of times. He always puts on a great show. I've been looking forward to his next visit in support of his new acoustic album.

Like Truman Capote said about Joyce Carol Oates, he "ought to be beheaded before hundreds of thousands at Shea."

Back