Saving a Boss Pedal?

Chicken Man

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I never thought these things could go, but my Boss GE-7 EQ pedal (which I use for a lead boost), has shorted out and makes a lot of noise when you jiggle the input jack. I opened it up, and the leads soldered into the jacks look good. I can't see anything that's obviously wrong. Is there anything I can do?

I never thought these things could go, but my Boss GE-7 EQ pedal (which I use for a lead boost), has shorted out and makes a lot of noise when you jiggle the input jack. I opened it up, and the leads soldered into the jacks look good. I can't see anything that's obviously wrong. Is there anything I can do?

Open it up and see if any soldering or connections are bad?

Replace the jack - Boss & Ibanez are notorious for the plastic black input/output jacks... They break internally and muck up the works.

Replace the jack - Boss & Ibanez are notorious for the plastic black input/output jacks... They break internally and muck up the works.
If it is a plastic jack, then definitely do this. I had to replace the plastic jack on my little Vox Pathfinder for the same reason. No problems since.

After pondering this for a while, I would start with the jacks as people suggested. Worst case your issue may lie in the FET switching area. I once fixed a friends Maxon EQ pedal where the input IC was the issue.

Back