Hot or Not? Sankey Tortoise

I like it. It gets away from the Star Trek: The Next Generation prop feel that many innovative acoustic guitar designs have. And it doesn’t have that problem of looking like a strange weapon the way some other innovative guitar designs do. But the last thing I want to hear when considering a new guitar is “…I have used a special set of Gotoh Stealth tuners unlikely to be produced again.” with regard to tuners built into a custom tailpiece. That’s a disaster waiting to happen.

To keep the tailpiece light and compact, I have used a special set of Gotoh Stealth tuners unlikely to be produced again.

So if a tuner breaks I get to throw the guitar away or go Keef on it?

I like it. It gets away from the Star Trek: The Next Generation prop feel that many innovative acoustic guitar designs have. And it doesn’t have that problem of looking like a strange weapon the way some other innovative guitar designs do. But the last thing I want to hear when considering a new guitar is “…I have used a special set of Gotoh Stealth tuners unlikely to be produced again.” with regard to tuners built into a custom tailpiece. That’s a disaster waiting to happen.

The tailpiece is a rather simple design from what I can tell. As I mentioned LSR tuners would seem a perfect...but guess what they don't make anymore. There are other options that he's used on headless solid bodies that could be applied to an archtop similar to this with a little variation on the theme.

If you check out the website there are a few "strange weapon" looking guitars there, as well as some more traditional beauties. Beautiful looking craftsmanship on the acoustic and arch top guitars. The solids that are available look like really ugly woodshop takes on the Klien electrics.

I don't mind the headlessness of it as much as the solution for the bridge/tuners.

All bridge/tuner devices are beautiful :embarrassed:

I would have to hear it and play it. I like it, but I do admit it looks a bit weird

It looks kind of different, though it might sound pretty good. My main problem with it, is the location of the tuners. I rest my hand picking hand on the bridge, and the tuners would be in the way.

I think this one looks really cool. Not something I'd ever use, but I really like the design.

Back